A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
847 Guests and 48 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adult scarf questions  (Read 789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tasana
« on: September 26, 2011 04:53:54 PM »

I'm making a scarf for a friend and she wants me to make it longer than she is tall.  (Some of you told me to make it the length as your height.) But I don't know how tall to make it.

What is the average length of a scarf? Not including fringe, which it will have.

I'm excited about this project. She wants it in Chicago bears colors and wants an ear flap hat to match. I'll post up pictures for sure when I get it done. Smiley

Also, I was just going to do it in garter stitch but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other pattern ideas. She wants it in navy blue with white and orange stripes at the ends with fringe...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 04:57:37 PM by tasana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011 07:22:32 AM »

My fave scarf I made is 80X10 inches in garter stitch. I have to wrap it three times to keep it from dangling out the bottom of my parka Tongue It's made from a soft and squishy bulky-weight acrylic, and the length and width mean I can even wrap it as a sorta-hood-cowl.

Lucky friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tasana
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011 05:31:18 PM »

I was planning on doing it in garter stitch for a quick project but made the mistake in asking if she wanted a different pattern. And I think she wants it in stockinette with a garter border. I just hate purling! It takes me a long time!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011 10:04:14 PM »

You could make it in the round with stockinette on both sides. That would allow you to change the colors so they won't show. They will in garter stitch. Or you'll get better at purling by the time you're done...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
tasana
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011 04:44:42 AM »

You could make it in the round with stockinette on both sides. That would allow you to change the colors so they won't show. They will in garter stitch. Or you'll get better at purling by the time you're done...

A scarf in the round?! I've never heard of that before. Please tell me more...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011 06:30:35 PM »

I was thinking of a tube. Cast on enough sts that are double the width you want and join, then knit in the round. Sew the cast on and BO ends to close the tube and you've got a scarf with stockinette on both sides. Since this would be double thickness, you'd want us use thinner yarn or larger needles unless you want a bulky one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Sadie862
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011 10:24:01 AM »

Does your friend have a scarf that she is already fond of?

Ask her to measure it or ask her to go to the shop and see what length scarf she likes - everyone seems to have their own personal preference.

Good luck! Post a picture when you are done - I'm sure we'd all like to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011 09:25:22 PM »

Make sure it's not too long. My aunt made me one that I wrap around my neck 4 times and still trip over it! I wouldn't make it longer than 8 feet imo. but it depends on how long they like scarves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tasana
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011 03:50:59 AM »

Make sure it's not too long.

I made it about 60 inches long which is what she wanted. She said she'd rather it be too long than too short. For long scarves, I just fold in half and then pull up through the loop. It stays around my neck better. Would that work for you? She loved the scarf and hat set though! Which made me really happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Bold, Bright Makeup Tips For Your Eye Color
Top Face Highlighters For Every Skin Tone
Brooke Shields Gets Personal
Beauty Made Easy: Applying Fake Lashes
Try Before You Buy: Glam Apps to Download Now!
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...