A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,772
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP with Wonder Woman boots?! Dyeing/Coloring Stretch Pleather  (Read 5797 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 26, 2011 11:09:22 AM »

I am being Wonder Woman for Halloween, and have already managed to finish every piece of the costume but the boots! I bought a pair of knee high, black stretch-pleather boots at a thrift store, and cut the hem at the top to shape (an upside down V). For coloring I tried spray painting the boots red, and I painted the soles and heal white with acrylic paint. For the lines and boarder at the top I used white tape. They looked great . . . until I put them on. The material stretched and the spray paint did not stretch with it! This resulted in a lot of flaking and cracking of the red spray paint, showing the black bellow. Any ideas for how to dye the leather or make it red so that the color won't chip or crack when put on? Should I give up and go thrift store shopping for boots that are already red?

Huh Huh Huh

I ended up adding a textile medium to red acrylic paint. The color isn't exactly how I wanted it to be, but its pretty close. I have put these babies on and walked around the house - no cracking or chipping of the paint! Lets hope they hold up - I plan on wearing these as part of my wonder woman costume for my band's first show on Halloween! Thanks for the advice and suggestions ladies!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011 11:05:55 PM by PentapodMonster » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mama Cass

I love old timey things, and miniatures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011 12:09:58 PM »

why not try colored duct tape?

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011 04:47:22 PM »

what about acrylic paint? duct tape + spray paint might work too!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011 07:21:07 PM »

I have worked super hard on my costume so far, including making my own pattern and sewing a corset, sewing her bullet-proof metal cuffs, hand painting her tiara, and hand painting stars on self-made shorts. I would feel a little lazy just ducktaping the boots. Plus the material is stretch, so if I duck taped them I doubt it'd fit any more. I plan on trying acrylic maybe with a textile medium mixed in? Thanks for the suggestions ladies.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011 11:47:14 PM »

Liquid latex paint perhaps?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011 07:40:00 AM »

Try scraping the old flakey paint off the best you can, then stuff the boots with a cardboard tube the size of your calf. Then spray them again. You've got nothing to lose at this point and finding red boots will be crazy hard.

And don't forgot to post pix! It sounds like a great costume!
One Crafty Queen

One Crafty-Queen, I Be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011 07:59:40 AM »

Have you considered Boot covers? I've had to use them before.
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011 11:37:43 AM »

There is a spray called "Magix" Spray and it is made specifically for shoes. I am sure you can buy it online, but probably tack shops, shoe repair stores. http://www.algeos.com/html/products/magix.htm

There is also an acrylic based paint made for painting leathers and fake leathers.  It lasts a really long time.  This is a website that sells the product. http://www.shoeshineexpress.com/angelusacrylicpaint.asp

On another note, Liquitex which sells at almost every art supply store, Have a lot of flexible dry mediums which you could mix with acrylic, the trick with things like that is the more pigment and colour you put in to it, the less flexible they may be. 

Hope that helps

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011 03:42:15 PM »

you could find stretch pvc or something in a fabric store, halloween fabrics are definitely out by now and i saw some at JoAnn last year. make covers, or deconstruct the boots and use them as a pattern and the soles!

♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011 07:23:08 AM »

Both for availability and price, I went with Mezcraft's advice and used a textile medium from liquitex. I did two coats of a dark red and then two coats of a brighter red. I think they turned out pretty good!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch This Instead Predators
How to Export Your Project in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Create a Custom Sequence in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Capture Footage in Premiere Pro CS5
Watch This Instead Review of The Last Airbender
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...