A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The things no one tells you before you become a knitter.  (Read 3790 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011 10:05:15 AM »

Oh I love this thread!  I was fortunate, I aquired lots of pre-loved straight knitting needles.  They were my dear hubbys grandmothers.  They were passed down to his mom first, but she told me that she tried and just couldnt get the hang of knitting.  So she gave them to me to use.  So, to add to the 'things no one tells you before you become a knitter'

~No one tells you how your hubby will grin from ear to ear when he sees you using his grandmother needles.

~No one tells you that every time you see a knit item in a movie, a tv show or at the store that your first reaction will be "Oh my gosh!  I could totally make that!"

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
tasana
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011 01:19:51 PM »

Aw, this made me smile  Cheesy

- No one tells you that you'll have to start all you holiday knitting the year before if you want to get it all done in time.

So true! So true! I had to laugh when I read this. It seems I am always knitting too late...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clumsy_momma
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011 12:23:48 PM »

~No one tells you that every time you see a knit item in a movie, a tv show or at the store that your first reaction will be "Oh my gosh!  I could totally make that!"

I cannot count the eye rolls I have gotten from the other half everytime I say something like that out loud.

~No one tells you that you'll be less inclined to buy knit items because you could just make them yourself...but then you never do because you just found an awesome pattern for ____ and have to make it RIGHT NOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayori

The Masochistic Knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011 10:02:58 PM »

I so love this thread!  Grin

-No one tells you that you will eventually move on from red heart and skeins of lovely natural fibers can be upwards of 20 bucks

On this same note....

*No one tells you that eventually $25 dollars for one skein is considered a deal*
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011 10:03:21 PM by Kayori » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You listen to metal and knit?"
"Yea, so?"
"I don't know, just seems a little out of the ordinary"
"Who said I was ordinary?"
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011 10:33:27 PM »

~ No one tells you how addictive socks knitting is and that you'll want better and more expensive yarn for socks the more you make them. I was tempted to pay $20 PER SOCK for a pair for my father in-law for Xmas. I opted for $20 a pair instead but it's still somewhat insane!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandyandbingley
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011 10:08:15 AM »

Nobody warns you that people think you will be just dying to make them a huge, complicated blanket, saying with a shrug "you'll have all winter to do it". Pfffff.

I so love this thread!  Grin

-No one tells you that you will eventually move on from red heart and skeins of lovely natural fibers can be upwards of 20 bucks

On this same note....

*No one tells you that eventually $25 dollars for one skein is considered a deal*

So true! I just plunked down $25 for a beautiful skein of yarn yesterday that is going to be a beautiful scarf. But if I saw a scarf in a store at that price, I wouldn't pay it, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raptorgrin
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011 09:21:34 AM »

Haha, I agree with so many of the above...I can't stand buying scarves in stores now...none of them seem perfect, wrong colour, not chunky enough...too long...I feel like I could make the perfect one! ...If I could get around to actually starting  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011 04:04:32 PM »

*No one tells you that when you're knitting around other people, the phrase 'let me finish this row' will become so common before you can answer someones question or get ready to go out.

*No one tells you that you'll spend all your free time looking up and saving patterns of items you would like to make one day.

*No one tells you that you're already planning your next item (taking measurements for garments, gathering yarn, etc.) before you even finish the item you're currently working on.

*No one tells you to buy extra sets of needles because chances are you'll have older projects just laying around still on their needles waiting to be finished.

*No one tells you that you're cat will become your worse enemy while you're knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011 12:04:34 PM »

nobody tells you that bamboo knitting needles DO make a difference. mind you, so does CTS surgery! I've spent years trying to get to grips with knitting and never been able to do it. had my surgery done on my right hand, got bamboo needles recommended and spent time getting grips.....

right now I am making some wrist warmers for a friend who has sent me some rare breed dorset handspun as a christmas gift!

nobody will tell you how wonderful a yarn sale is, and how you can drool over REALLY expensive yarn if it's got enough of a discount.... but then have to think of something to do with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011 05:32:01 PM »

Nobody tells you that if you *do* decide to buy a knit item from the store, you will feel like you cheated and want to make something better for the person and steal back the store bought item!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY: Update a Black Blazer With Metallic Lapels
Style Portrait: Stylist Donald McFarlane
Style Portrait: Student Amanda Jane Givens
Style Portrait: Fashion Blogger Peony Lim
Style Portrait: Blogger Angelica Ardasheva
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...