A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The things no one tells you before you become a knitter.  (Read 4148 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 25, 2011 10:38:26 PM »

1. No one tells you you'll need a bunch of different needle sizes as well as types (Straight, circular, interchangeable, double pointed) but you can save money by getting interchangeable's with a bunch of different cords.
2. No one tells you you'll need a billion notions. Like stitch counters, special scissors, stitch markers (different kinds) yarn needle, cable needle, stitch holder, plus something to hold them all in.
3. No one tells you you will become addicted to yarn and need storage.
4. No one tells you you'll need different types of yarn for different projects
5. No one tells you to get a yarn winder to save hours.
6. No one tells you to get a swift the same time you get a yarn winder to save time, money, and effort and you from using your feet as a swift and trying to wind with the winder at the same time.
7. No one tells you to get a yardage counter to go with the swift and ball winder so you don't spend hours knitting something from an unmarked ball and have to frog it because there wasn't enough yarn.
8. No one tells you all the books and websites you'll have to visit to learn new skills.
9. No one tells you how many books you'll buy for patterns.
10. No one tells you how much money you'll spend on knitting as a hobby.
11. No one tells you how much you'll fall in love knitting and not have anyone to talk about it with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nven
Also known as Aeramel

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011 09:41:36 AM »

Aw, this made me smile  Cheesy

- No one tells you that everyone will want you to make them one just like the one you made for yourself or soinso, and then gawk in disbelief when you tell them how much time/effort/money it will take.
- No one tells you that instant gratification and knitting don't go together.
- No one tells you that you'll have to start all you holiday knitting the year before if you want to get it all done in time.
- No one tells you that not everyone understands just show much time/effort/love went into that special knit gift, especially when the next thing they open is shinny.
- No one tells you that knitting is a gateway drug to spinning, needle felting and crocheting, all of which require more supplies and tools, mwhahaha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011 12:48:33 PM »

I totally agree to the last one. OMG I've got spindles and roving now too, and I just bought a needle felted, and crocheted first.. Man. Also true to the first, I knit a lot of toys and everyone wants one after I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011 02:21:32 PM »

No one warns you how addictive socks are.

This must be why the yarn companies charge so much for sock yarn: they know we'll pay it Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandyandbingley
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011 04:37:30 PM »

Haha Smiley I always tell myself that I already have my expensive hobby, photography (oh, the expensive lenses, camera bodies, lighting, flashes, the list goes on) but I know I'm just lying to myself, I just ignore what I've spent on yarn and supplies lol. And I soooo wish I could get into spinning!!!!

I wish I had another knitter in the family to hand me down what they ended up with doubles of, lol! But, I'm the lone knitter in the family.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ignitetheairwaves
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011 01:31:05 PM »

Such a good list!

- No one tells you that not everyone understands just show much time/effort/love went into that special knit gift, especially when the next thing they open is shinny.
^This is one of the hardest to learn :/

Also
-No one tells you that you will eventually move on from red heart and skeins of lovely natural fibers can be upwards of 20 bucks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The butter on my roll and the sugar in my soul

http://www.etsy.com/shop/1andtwenty
http://1andtwenty.blogspot.com/
Alice.in.Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011 03:11:20 PM »

- No one tells you that everyone will want you to make them one just like the one you made for yourself or soinso, and then gawk in disbelief when you tell them how much time/effort/money it will take.

Amen.

* No one tells you that you will get hand cramps/callouses from holding yarn to tension it and then get odd looks when you explain that you hurt yourself crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011 07:52:58 PM »

Hand cramps suck! I usually only get them after 5 hours of knitting straight, but then my elbow goes too. Elbow and wrist pain from heavy knitted Ami's suck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faux_Valentine
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011 06:19:58 PM »

~ no one ever tells you that you will spend Hours working on a project just have someone pick it up and throw it in the washer effectively making it the proper size for a  baby

I have had a few color work items of mine thrown in the wash and dryer by my mom, she meant the best but it's really heart breaking  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011 06:42:20 AM »

Yes, don't use hand wash wool to make an item for someone who's not going to handwash it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introducing Keyframes, the Transform Tool and Tweening
Macromedia Flash 8 - Duplicating Library Items
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Elements to the Stage
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introducing the Flash Interface
Macromedia Flash 8 - Quick Flash Demo
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...