A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
821 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lined Avalon jacket  (Read 1109 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2011 02:24:53 AM »

mmm taster clip...

so my kid needed a lighter weight coat than her heavy faux sheepskin as school have decided that even though the weather in unseasonable warm, a zip up hoodie cardigan thing (in school colours I might add) is not suitable outer attire. we went shopping to find one. neither of us liked what we found for either financial or style reasons, and in her infinite wisdom my five year old asked me if I could make her one instead. wonderful suggestion except that 4 days ago, I had surgery on my right hand...and I am right handed. lol?!

I have been getting antsy and itching to get on and do something. anything. so I decded that as the bandage had come off the day before, leaving just a large dressing over the wound, I could now kinda move my hand enough. YES I COULD DAMNIT!!!

so I decided to check by holding my heavy, stainless steel tailor's shears. yes. I could just about manage them if I left myself time and did things nice and slow. could i trace a pattern?
yes. I could. and I could cut that out too....

no mean feat considering the day beofe my hand had looked like this

ok .so. the coat. once the pattern was cut and ability to use shears ascertained, it was time to pick fabric. she went through my stash and dug out the last bit of this 26 year old kind of christmassy fabric  (last used here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=366042.0) and some 1950s plastic buttons given to me by her Nanna.

ok, pattern cut. lining cut. outer cut. all labelled. pattern instructions read. audio book on ipod, ipod charged.

it took me about 6 hours to finish this coat so if i was fully able-handed it's not be long as all I reckon. but my hand hurts today. I know. my own fault!

and finally, the twirl.

the pattern is Avalon from Sewing Clothes Kids Love, but modified to be double breasted and have a collar. I wanted to do a hood but didn't have enough of the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011 10:40:14 AM »

That jacket looks absolutely perfect on her!
You did an amazing job, especially considering your hurted hand.
The fabrics is lovely too.

PS: will you please take good care of yourself and give your hand some more rest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011 11:31:02 AM »

PS: will you please take good care of yourself and give your hand some more rest?

thanks, and I'm already on it dude Wink not done anything today, typing left handed. husband wont let me do anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011 11:49:27 AM »

I want one in my size! I love the detail in the back. Thanks for reminding me that I need to sit down and figure out how to do it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nuttywoman

Help I`m trapped in the glass in my back door!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011 03:33:30 PM »

This coat is fab , it looks right in all the right places and well done you getting it done with a bad hand . Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graceless lady
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011 07:42:36 PM »

That looks amazing. And with an injured hand, no less. And your girl looks so happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Curly Hair
Learn About Hair Brushes
Learn About Hair Combs
Learn About Hair Rollers
How to Create an Upward Roll with Curls Underneath
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...