A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celebrate Banned Books Week with Owlie Cabled Study Gloves! (with pattern)  (Read 12654 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , chart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2011 03:15:25 PM »

Just in time to cozy up with my new copy of Grendel in honor of Banned Books Week! I perpetually get cold hands while I read, so I find myself contorting into odd poses to keep a blanket around my arms without blocking the light on the book. But no more! I splurged for chunky baby alpaca, so chilly will no longer be an issue Smiley

In case you are itching to try some, this is my "by the numbers" version of the pattern, designed to walk you through stitch-by-stitch. Pretty print-formatted PDFs are available at my blog, as is a no-nonsense edition of the pattern for smartypants knitters.

Materials:
  • 1 hank Cascade Chunky Baby Alpaca (or 100 yd similar yarn)
  • Five US 10 double-pointed needles
  • stitch marker
  • cable needle
  • Four 1/4″ buttons, plus sewing needle & thread

Stitches & Abbreviations:
  • dpns double-pointed needles
  • m1 make 1 new stitch by picking up the running thread from the back & knitting it
  • c4b slip 2 stitches to cable needle & bring to back of your work, knit 2 regular stitches, then knit 2 stitches from cable needle
  • c4f slip 2 stitches to cable needle & bring to front of your work, knit 2 regular stitches, then knit 2 stitches from cable needle
  • k2tog knit 2 stitches together
  • [instructions] brackets dont need any special treatment; they are just to help keep instructions organized

Directions:

Left glove:

Cast on 20 stitches & divide evenly between 4 dpns, being careful not to twist the cast-on. Place marker & join.

• Rounds 1-12: *k2, p2* repeat around (2 x 2 ribbing)
  • Round 13:  knit around
  • Round 14: *k4, m1* repeat around 25 stitches in round
  • Round 15: knit around

Now, youll rearrange the stitches on your dpns to make the counting easier. From the marker, leave 2 stitches on the first dpn. Place the next 12 stitches on the second dpn. Place the next 9 stitches on the third dpn & leave the last 2 stitches on the fourth dpn. The brackets will help you see what happens on each dpn.

• Round 16: [k1, m1, k1], [k2, p8, k2], [k9], [k1, m1, k1] 27 stitches in round
  • Round 17: [k3], [p2, k8, p2], [k9], [k3]
  • Round 18: [k1, m1, k2], [p2, k8, p2], [k9], [k2, m1, k1] 29 stitches in round
  • Round 19: [k4], [p2, c4b, c4f, p2], [k9], [k4]
  • Round 20: [k1, m1, k3], [p2, k8, p2], [k9], [k3, m1, k1] 31 stitches in round
  • Rounds 21-24: [k5], [p2, k8, p2], [k9], [k5]
  • Round 25: [k5], [p2, c4b, c4f, p2], [k9], [k4]
  • Round 26: [k5], [p2, k8, p2], [k9], [k5]
  • Rounds 27 & 28: [k5,], [p2, k1, p2, k2, p2, k1], [k9], [k5]
  • Round 29: [k5], [p2, k8, p2], [k9], [k5]
  • Round 30: [k5], [p2, c4b, c4f, p2], [k9], [k4]
  • Round 31: [k5], [p2, k8, p2], [k9], [k5]
  • Round 32: knit around
  • Round 33: [k5], [k12], [k9], but dont work the last 5 stitches on the fourth dpn

Slip the first 5 stitches  of the round & the last 5 stitches of the round onto a piece of scrap yarn & set aside these will become your gloves thumb later (10 stitches total). Cast on 1 extra stitch across the gap to connect the remaining stitches in a round, and rearrange evenly on your dpns (22 stitches total).

• Rounds 34 & 35: knit around
  • Round 36: purl around
  • Round 37: *k2tog, yo* repeat around
  • Round 38: purl around
  • Round 39: knit around

Loosely bind off the 22 stitches from your dpns.

Slip the thumb stitches back onto your dpns & distribute evenly (you may only want to use 3 dpns here). Pick up & knit 1 stitch in the gap where the thumb meets the body of the glove (11 stitches total).

Rounds 1-3: knit around

Loosely bind off all thumb stitches.

Right glove:

Cast on 20 stitches & divide evenly between 4 dpns, being careful not to twist the cast-on. Place marker & join.

• Rounds 1-12: *k2, p2* repeat around (2 x 2 ribbing)
  • Round 13:  knit around
  • Round 14: *k4, m1* repeat around 25 stitches in round
  • Round 15: knit around

Now, youll rearrange the stitches on your dpns to make the counting easier. From the marker, leave 2 stitches on the first dpn. Place the next 9 stitches on the second dpn. Place the next 12 stitches on the third dpn & leave the last 2 stitches on the fourth dpn. The brackets will help you see what happens on each dpn.

• Round 16: [k1, m1, k1], [k9], [k2, p8, k2], [k1, m1, k1] 27 stitches in round
  • Round 17: [k3], [k9], [p2, k8, p2], [k3]
  • Round 18: [k1, m1, k2], [k9], [p2, k8, p2], [k2, m1, k1] 29 stitches in round
  • Round 19: [k4], [k9], [p2, c4b, c4f, p2], [k4]
  • Round 20: [k1, m1, k3], [k9], [p2, k8, p2], [k3, m1, k1] 31 stitches in round
  • Rounds 21-24: [k5], [k9], [p2, k8, p2], [k5]
  • Round 25: [k5], [k9], [p2, c4b, c4f, p2], [k4]
  • Round 26: [k5], [k9], [p2, k8, p2], [k5]
  • Rounds 27 & 28: [k5,], [k9], [p2, k1, p2, k2, p2, k1], [k5]
  • Round 29: [k5], [k9], [p2, k8, p2], [k5]
  • Round 30: [k5], [k9], [p2, c4b, c4f, p2], [k4]
  • Round 31: [k5], [k9], [p2, k8, p2], [k5]
  • Round 32: knit around
  • Round 33: [k5], [k9], [k12], but dont work the last 5 stitches on the fourth dpn

Slip the first 5 stitches  of the round & the last 5 stitches of the round onto a piece of scrap yarn & set aside these will become your gloves thumb later (10 stitches total). Cast on 1 extra stitch across the gap to connect the remaining stitches in a round, and rearrange evenly on your dpns (22 stitches total).

• Rounds 34 & 35: knit around
  • Round 36: purl around
  • Round 37: *k2tog, yo* repeat around
  • Round 38: purl around
  • Round 39: knit around

Loosely bind off the 22 stitches from your dpns.

Slip the thumb stitches back onto your dpns & distribute evenly (you may only want to use 3 dpns here). Pick up & knit 1 stitch in the gap where the thumb meets the body of the glove (11 stitches total).

Rounds 1-3: knit around

Loosely bind off all thumb stitches.

Diving in Deeper:

What is with all the brackets?

Yeah, I know knitting patterns arent supposed to look like math textbooks, right? But bear with me here for a minute. If you havent started a pair of these gloves, this probably looks super threatening & you cant imagine how such ugliness could ever be helpful. Heres the dealio, though: when you reach that part of the pattern, you have your 25 stitches split very strategically across 4 double-pointed needles. The brackets help you see what is happening on each of the 4 needles theyre just a way to visually break up the round into bite-size chunks!

Split very strategically? Want to elaborate a little there?

In my Holly Holiday voice: I thought youd never ask! While the gunk inside the brackets looks like word soup at first glance, there really is a pattern from round to round. Take a look at the left glove, for example.

• The first & last brackets correspond to the stitches on your first & last dpns. They start off with only 2 stitches each, but increase every other round until they hold 5 stitches each. Then, they sit tight & get knit until its time to turn those stitches into the thumb of your glove.
  • The second bracket is where your owl will take shape. The written-out directions are hard to visualize, but the chart below might help you see whats really going on under all that purling & cabling.

• The third bracket is plain-Jane knit stitches, every single round! This chunk of stitches will become the palm of your glove.
  • Then, to make your right glove, its the same process, just with the 2nd & 3rd brackets switched!

Why the floopy yarn-overs at the end of the glove?

This is a purely stylistic choice that you are, of course, welcome to modify or leave out altogether. From round 37 onward, youre creating some raised eyelets for the top edge of your gloves. They are there for two reasons: first, to combat the rolling tendency of plain old stockinette stitch, and second, to look classy as hell. Who wants ribbing at the top of fingerless gloves, right?

Finishing:

Weave in ends & trim. Sew buttons into place as the owls eyes the little square of purled stitches marks where they belong. Now slip them on & never choose between cute & smart again!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011 03:58:07 PM by lapoli » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ducksquack
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011 03:33:25 PM »

Wow, I just scrolled on over to Ravelry, and found these, without even realizing they were going to be! I love these a lot! So much, I think it'll join my queue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -Abraham Lincoln
mj_elizabeth
maryjean

I love my staple gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011 08:23:53 PM »

Sooo creative turning the cables into little owls! I never would have thought of that.. I wonder if it'd be possible to knit the owl in a contrasting colour? that would be really cute for little kids
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011 07:46:33 PM »

I adore wrist warmers. My hands are always cold! Super cute pattern. Thanks for sharing Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011 05:17:14 PM »

These are super cute!  Im going to snag the free pdf version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
IRShannon

We do the ska. Yeah, we ska.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011 10:59:03 PM »

!!!!! These are so good!!!
This christmas, I am making my Grandma teach me how to cable knit so I can make these!
SO GOOD!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011 06:54:19 AM »

These are, at minimum, 50 flavors of awesome!

Adding in BBW put it straight over the top.

Well done!

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.e tsy.com
Jane2
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011 11:24:38 AM »

Almost makes me want to start studying again!
... but not quite.
They just look so cute that I DO want to knit them.

Several pairs in fact - the first pair will be for me (and for practise) and the next few pairs will be for those in my family who are still "hitting the books'.

Thank you so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbiyoung
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011 04:17:37 PM »

These are darling!  I haven't done any cables yet, but I plan to laern in 2012 and these will definitely be on my list of things to knit.

Thanks for the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilautumn
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011 07:43:19 AM »

AAAH!  I can't wait to make these!  Thank you so so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EMERSON.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Principles of Light Usage in Photography
How Camera Shutters Work
How to use the Aperture - Lesson 1
Learn about the Camera Term: Exposure
How to Compress an Image to Reduce File Size
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...