A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bucket Bag help!  (Read 919 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

barefootonmars
« on: September 24, 2011 01:42:16 AM »

Hello all,

I am planning on going to a ton of festivals this upcoming year and I need a bag to put all my junk in but still travel light. Anyway, I would love love love to make one of these but dont know how to begin going about it:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lokipeyvDF1qmvehbo1_400.jpg

I understand that the fabric looks to be woven, I don't know how to do that. But are there any alternative fabrics I can use to make it sturdy like that? Id like to have it in a bright and beautiful pattern as well, so I guess Id just consult fabric stores for that. The point is it has to be fairly medium-large and able to endure the weight of water bottles, a camera, and some psychedelicsahem!..who said that?! Water bottles. Right!

Many thanks in advance, sending all much love & wishing you a happy autumnal equinox!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011 05:09:17 PM »

Um, I don't think many of us here actually weave our own fabric! You can use whatever fabric you like on the outside and toughen it up with interfacing or a lining of denim, duck or canvas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flutter-by
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011 06:26:16 PM »

CraftyChef is right that you can use whatever fabric you want as long as you use interfacing with it (you can look at a craft/fabric store for the thickness you want or order it online).

Ive never made a bucket bag, but I would start with a circular base, a rectangle, strap piece and drawstring piece (if you want the casing to be a different color).  The circle should have a diameter that is as big as you want the base of your bag+ seam allowance.  Then use the circumference of that circle to make the long side of a rectangle+ seam allowance.  The height of the rectangle should be however tall you want your bag to be+ seam allowance. If you want a separate drawstring casing, make that.  If not, add extra height to your rectangle or use grommets or a buttonhole stitch to make room for your drawstring to weave through the top of the bag. 

I dont often make drawstring bags, so there may be an easier way of doing it, but I would do something like this:

Sew the rectangle to the circle.  Sew the short side of the rectangle.  Repeat for the lining but leave a hole to turn it right side out.  Sew the drawstring casing to the top of your exterior piece (right sides together.  Attach the strap (but be careful not to sew through the drawstring casing).  Put the exterior of the bag (including the strap and drawstring casing) into the lining of the bag.  Sew around the top.  Turn right side out through the hole in the lining.  Sew up the hole and finish with topstitching if desired.     

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you still have questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedBirdTrue
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013 11:20:00 AM »

I made a bucket bag recently using duck fabric. After I was finished I gave the bag a couple of coats of ScotchGuard and so far it is holding up great in every day usage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~ Don't sweat it, just make it! I'm sure it will be great. ~~~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katie McBroom: Martinis and Mascara
Carla Kokoszka: Fashion Maven Mommy
Arielle Thibodeaux: Beauty By Arielle
Cara Brook: Maskcara
Ashley Weatherford: August Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...