A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: teeny tiny potions cabinet : snape approved!!! VERY PIC HEAVY  (Read 18293 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erica_tattoos
« on: September 23, 2011 11:05:02 PM »

hey everybody!! for the back to hogwarts swap, i made a potions cabinet for my partner pinkleo!!

i started this project very casually, and the more i worked on it, the more involved i got.... ended up putting an insane amount of work/detail into it, ended up totally falling in love with it.... i know people say this all the time, but it really was hard to pack up and send to its new home! let's look at some detail shots!

here's some door closed/door open shots:

top left cubby:

here we have a lil mandrake in a pot (carved from sculpey, accessorized with moss)... don't worry! he's tame! he's quite happy living in pinkleo's potion cabinet, i promise he won't screech at you!! also sharing the cubby with the mandrake are a vial of "magic nick & mom's hair" (my son helped me gather all the potions ingredients from around the house, i never knew i had so much magic stuff!), some random other potions bottles (all of these tiny bottles are glass beads fitted with sculpey stoppers and bases) and a tiny golden snitch having a bit of a rest before it heads off on new adventures!

center left:

a cauldron full of potion is brewing!! wasn't able to get a good photo of the potion itself, but it's a very fine silver irridescent glitter... maybe some liquid luck? we might never know.... a vial of "magic cork parts", some coral from the beach in florida, a few more miscellaneous potions bottles, and the foe-glasses mounted on the back wall are vintage watch crystals.

bottom left:

a portrait of Professor Dumbledore keeps watch over a rare illuminated manuscript and pinkleo's wand (made from a toothpick and a bit of sculpey) while she's away... a vial of "magic dead leafs from the kitchen plant" and a vial of "magic floor popcorn" (nick had been having a snack, i swear i don't always have magic floor popcorn in the house!) the lil silhouette is from a whimsy swap with sheepblue, and other vials...

top right:

a few essential potions books have their homes in this lil cubby! pinkleo's also chosen to set her cup of tea here... perhaps not the wisest place to put her tea, but last time she left it next to the cauldron, and we won't even go into the fiasco that occurred then!!! perhaps it's the warmth of the tea that's drawn him in, or maybe he just felt at home with hagrid's portrait hanging here, but a wee bat has stopped in for a bit of a kip until night falls and he can go hunting!

center right:

a convenient place to do a little record keeping on her latest potions experiments, pinkleo also has a stash of scrolls here from previous research! (strips of pages from year 6 ~ my dog liked this book so much he had to swallow half of it! i've been using the rest for crafting...) and one must always keep a nice sharp quill and an inkwell at the ready!! (this quill donated by my cockatiel!) maybe professor snape is unimpressed with pinkleo's handwriting... his portrait certainly doesn't seem very happy!)

bottom right:

a skull (sculpey) in a bell jar ($.25 machine bubble & sculpey), a tiny seashell, and some more potions!

here are some pics of the inside of the cabinet!!

among my fave ingredients: "magic paintbrush hairs", "magic smellgood candle waxes", "magic tiny seashells", and "magic jar of tiny eyeballs" (that one's waaaay down at the bottom, it the back. we made them from teeny balls of sculpey and painted the irises/pupils on with acrylic!)

and thumbnails to MORE pics, if you're interested!

oh, and a tiny bottle of love potion and box of chocolates, juuuust in case!!

thanks so much for looking! hope you enjoy perusing as much as i enjoyed making!!!  Grin
~erica

edit: also wanted to mention: this entire project was made from things i already had around the house!! total cost: $0!!!

aaaaand~ a special thanks to knickertwist! i got about halfway thru and ran out of ideas, kind of stalled out! so i posted up some pics and asked her for some advice, and she made some super helpful suggestions!! more pics also at http://www.photobucket.com/lilpotionscabinet , where you can see those in progress shots, as well as a few pics of the other stuff i made for this swap!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011 11:16:02 PM by erica_tattoos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011 11:18:07 PM »

This totally ROCKS!! The amount of detail is insane! I totally love the little mandrake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mousee23

Not all Californians live near the beach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011 11:28:50 PM »

Totally amazing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is pain,Highness~Dred Pirate Roberts<br />My Chatterings http://mousee23.blogspot.com/<br />http://www.wists.com/mousee23/<br />http://pinterest.com/mousee23/
Oodelally

Absence makes the heart grow fonder xo

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011 11:29:04 PM »

Wow o Wow! Pinkleo is so lucky! It must have been really hard to give that little beauty up!! Nice work Cheesy It rocks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~

Can you send me joker playing cards? I am working on a big project Cheesy
My Pinterest | My Blog
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011 11:41:08 PM »

I agree that pinkleo is one lucky gal! This is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011 11:43:12 PM »

O   M   G   !!! That is cripplingly AMAZING!! Hitting the ROCK button now..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011 11:43:20 PM »

Fan-flipping-tastic! It turned out so welll Smiley The amount of detail in this is crazy. I think my fave is the Snape portrait... he's loverly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011 11:55:54 PM »

This is amazing! I absolutely love every little detail! The little bat is adorable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011 12:19:37 AM »

Wow! this is so stunning.  I love the candles on the top. I love all the little bottles you made from beads as well as the ones with magic  ingredients in them. (Memo to self - Must rush out and buy some "magic floor popcorn".  Obviously a vital ingredient for many potions  Wink.)  Also love the bat, the cockatiel feather quill, the skull ..and .. and ... The whole thing is just so amazing.  Thanks for all the lovely pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011 12:28:39 AM »

I just love it. The idea of making glass beads into potion bottles is brilliant! I also love your magic ingredients...'magic floor popcorn' made me LOL.

YAY FOR YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Basting Stitch
How to Back Stitch
How to Wrap a Difficult Item
How to Choose Collage Materials
How to Choose Cross Stitch Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...