A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Save a journalists job and read this post!  (Read 1335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Deeder
« on: September 23, 2011 10:43:06 AM »

Remember newspapers? That thing some kid threw on your front yard? It was full of yesterday's news, classified ads and crossword puzzles. Yes, despite iPads, smartphones and Kindles, newspapers are still going strong(ish).

I'm the entertainment editor at a newspaper, and as you can imagine, I have a lot of newspaper at my house (I get two a day sometimes!), so when I stumbled across this tutorial one day, I knew I had to make something like it. I like the idea of paying homage to my profession through art, and my boring lampshade was the perfect canvas.

This is my second of three lampshade recovers -- I covered this lampshade using a similar technique, but with fabric.

The tutorial I found was for covering a canvas with newspaper flowers. Its insanely simple, and only takes a couple of newspapers, an old canvas (recycle a used one, if you want) and lots of glue. And I mean a lot.

To begin, I cut the cord out the top of the shade, which gave it a cylindrical shape, instead of its normal cone shape. Using a hot glue gun, I covered the inside and out with flat sheets of newsprint, folding it over the edges and gluing on the inside of the shade. To make the flowers, I tore 2-inch strips down the length of the newspaper and then twisted them into flowers around my index finger. The strips dont need to all be the same size different widths of strips will make different size flowers, as well as how tightly you twist the strips into flowers (looser for bigger flowers, tighter for smaller). Watch out what you touch while you are doing this project, because your hands will get dirty.

Once a flower was twisted up, I secured the loose end with a dab of glue. Then I glued the completed flower to the lampshade. If I did it again, I maybe wouldn't cover the entire shade with flowers, because it limits the light a little too much. Id say it took about 80 flowers to cover this lampshade, and it would probably take the same amount to cover a smaller canvas.

I love how this ended up looking a modern piece, with a little twist. OK, with a lot of twists! There are little bursts of color throughout the piece from different ads. But the best thing is that this project cost me absolutely nothing but you should go out this Sunday (the biggest paper of the week, if you didn't know) and spend a couple bucks on your local rag. Many journalists like me will thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwality570
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011 10:55:54 AM »

I love it!  They look like roses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011 03:44:39 PM »

I like this - it reminds me of Queen of Hearts' rose garden in Alice in Wonderland, even if they aren't painted red!  I like the newspaper look to them.  Good job - way to drum up some job security too!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011 06:34:32 PM »

love, love, love this!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
tattooed_lady
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011 09:17:40 PM »

Love it! How neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Principles of Light Usage in Photography
How Camera Shutters Work
How to use the Aperture - Lesson 1
Learn about the Camera Term: Exposure
How to Compress an Image to Reduce File Size
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...