A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bustier help using own bra  (Read 4784 times)
Tags for this thread: bustier  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sashaf7
« on: September 22, 2011 10:54:02 PM »

I DID NOT MAKE ANY OF THOSE ! i got that off tublr.com . I wish i could give the rights to the owner but i have no idea who it is.

I need help . I am starting with my own bra i have . I would like to cover it with white fabric and put rhinestone's on it.
I don't have any boning stuff.  [I'm so So so BROKE] I am a full time college student
  BUT IM STUCK !!!!
I cant not use the bra because of my nips . i don't want them to show.
I have a zipper and i have eyelets i can use .
I am trying to use stuff i have all over my house.

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sashaf7
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011 12:07:58 AM »

do i sound crazy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
non.sequitur
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011 06:31:08 AM »

Are you planning to use it for regular wear, or is it for a costume or to be worn for just a little while (like as lingerie), or...? There are many many things you can use in place of real boning, depending on the bustier's intended use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I did it, I did it, I opened an etsy shop! http://ragaloorose.etsy.com
sashaf7
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011 08:06:43 AM »

for a top to wear . i mean i would like it to keep together

a little like this but maybe longer.

thanks for all the help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Damara
I don't want to make money. I just want to be wonderful--Marilyn Monroe

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011 09:42:30 AM »

Zip ties, the things that are used to keep cables together, or really anything for that matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative

"I promise to love you forever, every single day of forever"  Edward Cullen, Eclipse

www.wists.com/damara
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011 10:04:41 AM »

Yep zip ties/tie wraps just sew a channel slide them in then stitch it shut, I've used this for formal dresses and it's worked perfectly, and they are super cheap if you don't have any around the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

non.sequitur
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011 02:40:28 PM »

I second (third?) zip ties, or if you're just looking for light boning, you could use the slats from vinyl blinds. If you double them in each channel, they'll be a lot more sturdy. You could also use a fairly thick wire (think coat hanger wire), or if you have it, leftover cable even works, though I don't know how it would stand up to multiple washings. Really, there are no rules I know of as far as what you can and can't use; if it's thin and strong, give it a shot...I've even used those wide popsicle sticks in a last-minute costume, though that would of course not be appropriate for an item that would get a lot of use. Just make sure that on anything you use, you sand any ends you cut before putting them in your channels or cover the ends with glue or nail polish or something to smooth them. You wouldn't believe how quickly sharp ends can chew up your fabric! The best thing I can suggest is to make a muslin first (doesn't actually have to be made of muslin, just use any junk material you have laying around) and try a few different household items to find something you like before you cut and sew your "real" fabric.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sashaf7
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011 04:30:08 PM »

thank you ! cross your fingers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sashaf7
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011 07:07:59 PM »

searched my house - no zip ties .... now what? ugh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
non.sequitur
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011 08:20:46 PM »

Now you get to think outside the box.  Grin Have any coat hangers? Wire or plastic ones? Even anything like a plastic container would do--treat it like a Shrinky-Dink (just be prepared to open your windows if it stinks, as shrinking plastic can have some nasty fumes) and cut it before you shrink it up. Or don't shrink it, depending how much strength you need. Check around at the college (mail room or the student union bookstore would be good places to start) and see if they have any scraps of the plastic strapping used to hold together reams of paper and when shipping heavy boxes. If you're under some sort of time constraint, use whatever you have (plastic, popsicle sticks, even corrugated cardboard) and just tack the lining on one end of the channels; then you can slip out your "emergency bones" out when you need to wash it or they need to be replaced, or when you get a buck or two and can get some zip ties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rum Cake Recipe
How to Make Crispy Easter Nests
Bulldog Pupcake Recipe
Maltese Pupcake Recipe
Pug Pupcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...