A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cork shoe wedges or blocks?  (Read 1292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RJCJR
« on: September 22, 2011 08:40:38 AM »

Hello!

My first post, yay! I was hoping that someone on this board may know where I can order cork shoe wedges or carving blocks? I plan on making a pair of hooves for a costume, and due to the fact that I am a male with rather large feet (and a pair of cork wedge sandals in my size is out of my budget), it may be better if I can carve my own cork wedges!

I have searched the internet, but alas, most places I find only do bulk orders, or up to a size 10 in women's. I need a size 15 in women's (size 13 mens).

Any help will be appreciated!

-Rob
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011 02:52:31 AM »

I feel soooo sorry for your enormous man-feet Sad I had a REALLY hard time finding anything remotely useful for my little size 7.5 woman-feet to make into unicorn hooves. In the end, I carved out the bottom of rubber faux-espadrilles, will attach a wooden hoof to the toe, and reinforce the underside of the foot with fiberglass sheet and resin. The most I can do for you is point to a post on my blog where I compiled a bunch of hoof-shoe related information.

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RJCJR
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011 11:35:12 AM »

I feel soooo sorry for your enormous man-feet Sad I had a REALLY hard time finding anything remotely useful for my little size 7.5 woman-feet to make into unicorn hooves. In the end, I carved out the bottom of rubber faux-espadrilles, will attach a wooden hoof to the toe, and reinforce the underside of the foot with fiberglass sheet and resin. The most I can do for you is point to a post on my blog where I compiled a bunch of hoof-shoe related information.

Best of luck!

Thanks Alexus! What I ended up doing was I ordered three 4" x 9" x 6" yoga cork blocks. I plan to cut each on the end, then cut one in half and adhere each piece to another block, to give me around 12"-13" length I need. Then I can go from there and start carving out the 'shoes'.

When the shoes are done, I plan on putting a type of sandpaper or something that can grip on the bottom, similar to horseshoes, to prevent me from slipping and such.

It will be so much fun!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011 12:57:07 AM »

Yes, grip is essential, but so is the centre of gravity! One thing at a time: for grip, you can buy rolls of "sandpapery" stuff for putting on the edges of porch steps and such. I bought a roll to put on the bottom of okobo, a type of traditional Japanese shoe. As to the centre of gravity, I'm going to see about putting some scrap steel in my hooves to make sure I don't fall over backwards, because the angle of my foot is probably not going to be quite acute enough to get by without a counterbalance.

Looking forward to seeing how your project goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dazzle Her with Diamonds This Holiday
Easy & Festive Holiday Beauty Tutorials
Holiday Makeup Tutorial
How to Do a Classic Red Lip
Transforming Your Look with a Pop of Color
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...