A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dumpster dived shelf turned cookie making organizer.  (Read 1767 times)
Tags for this thread: shelf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 21, 2011 08:19:49 PM »

*sneak peek!*

I hope this is in the right spot! I found this shelf by the dumpster in our apartment complex. My DH and I were walking our dogs and he rolled his eyes when I carried it up. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it until today. I had two gallon sized bags of cookie cutters and another set I just bought (damn you Target dollar section!), and no way to store them!

Here's the before:

I had to use a jigsaw (to cut the dowel into pieces), sander and drill with a bit that was the same size as the dowels. Don't forget eye and mouth protection!

I wrapped a piece of masking tape around the drill bit so I wouldn't drill all the way down. I sanded it after I drilled the holes. I then cut the dowels, sanded down the tips, then put the glue in the holes. I also dipped the dowels in the glue then put into holes. Make sure they're snug!

I painted it Ultra White eggshell finish. The bottom shelf was splotchy after a few coats, so I mod-podged some cute scrapbook paper to the bottom shelf. I spent 40 cents on picture frame hangers to hang the shelf on the wall. That's it! I had everything else laying around the craft room. I'm so excited about it. Smiley

The final result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011 08:23:43 PM »

wow!
What an improvement, that is so cute and practical!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Luvebuggy99

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011 08:39:15 PM »

How Smart!! I have the same cookie cutters hahaah I love the dollar section at target! I may have to copy your idea Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap 'til you drop!

I love swapping altered puzzle pieces! PM ME! Smiley
muyhippie
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011 08:43:40 AM »

This is what I love about Craftster.  People finding random, thrown-away objects and renovating them into something beautiful and useful.  Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs_P

Trying to learn to be crafty one stitch at a time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011 09:18:02 AM »

Nice job! So lovely to see an unloved item being loved once more = ) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amusedcreations

Random memory attack!

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011 09:54:34 AM »

Thanks, everyone! When we buy a house next year, I hope to have better kitchen storage. If so, I can easily use this in the craft room to hold all my ribbons and trimmings. Smiley Now I want to find more of these shelves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011 10:13:40 AM »

I love this, granted I'd need something waayyy bigger to house all of my collection (and its due to grow anytime now, as my grandma has decided she's only going to keep her favorite cutters and pass the rest on to me, as I've done the majority of the christmas and holiday baking for the past few years) but I love your Idea!! its AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amusedcreations

Random memory attack!

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011 11:59:22 AM »

I love this, granted I'd need something waayyy bigger to house all of my collection (and its due to grow anytime now, as my grandma has decided she's only going to keep her favorite cutters and pass the rest on to me, as I've done the majority of the christmas and holiday baking for the past few years) but I love your Idea!! its AWESOME!

Ohhh, that sounds like a challenge! Smiley My other idea was to drill holes in the side of the shelf and threading a dowel through them. Then I could just hang all the cookie cutters on the dowels (kind of how ribbon organizers work). The problem was it would've been a major pain to get only a few cookie cutters at a time. I like how they're organized by theme. I was going to do more dowels instead of those green containers, but I couldn't get my drill in there. In hindsight I could've drilled through the bottom and hoped that the dowels would've stayed glued and snug. Another idea I had was to screw cup hooks to the bottom of the shelf then use ribbons with loops on the ends. You could string your cutters on the ribbons, then hook both ends to the cup hooks. I'm constantly looking for cookie cutters at thrift shops so I may end up using this idea! lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainfallingonatinroof
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011 10:29:31 AM »

hella cute. and much more useful and pretty than its original form - good work, lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wacoal Bra Ad Gets A Guy Into A Push-Up Bra
How To Get The Stella McCartney Dress Look For Less
Top Fall Fashion Trends For the Whole Family
Jessie J Shows Off Her Curves in Hot Pink
Fall 2013 Trends to Wear for Curvy Girls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...