A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seeking Advice for New Crochet Club for ESL Students  (Read 513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Koreena
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 21, 2011 10:05:15 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm starting up a crochet for charity club for students in the ESL department at the university where I work.  I meet a lot of really friendly but quiet students who want to get involved and practice chatting in English while volunteering, but are too shy to sign-up for the more common charities or events that are available on campus.  It's an idea I've been wanting to put in to practice for years, but have been too busy.  It's time!!!  We're going to be making little toy animals and dolls to send to kids in Namibia. Our international department sends a group of volunteers to Namibia each year to do builds and help out where needed, and this group will take the toys along with them to give to kids in the schools & villages that they visit.

Our first meeting is next Tuesday and I have no idea what to expect!!  There are 500 students in our program and I'm a little terrified that I'll either get way too many people, or no one at all!  I'm planning to have the coordinator of the Namibia trip come and do a short presentation to the group and show them some photos of the kids she has met over the years, and then to hand out 'how to crochet' instructions to the group and show them some of the toys I've made for the cause.  I plan to teach everyone how to crochet using a combo of you tube videos, handouts & personal guidance and have my fingers crossed that at least one or two other experienced crocheters will join me...  Undecided

So far I've received 3 yarn donations and one offer for financial support, so we're on our way.  I'm just terrified of the unknown of the initial meeting...  I'm desperately seeking advice &/or suggestions!

We've been trying to decide whether to buy hooks for everyone to use while they are at the club meetings, or if we should have each person buy their own...  What do you think?  I'd like to know how other charity club organizers have approached the start-up of their clubs - What have people brought with them, what have they expected from you, etc.

If you have any patterns that you'd like to offer the group to use for free, please let me know~ I will be sure to share them with our students and send you photos of completed projects once I have some!

Thanks in advance,

Koreen  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011 10:08:48 AM »

I hope your first meeting went well. Have you tried some craft stores in the area to see if they might be willing to donate some supplies? Also, check out the crochet board, I bet they have a ton of free patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sebastian Copeland on the Beauty in Photography
How to Bling your photos
Man Turns Damaged Tree Into A Magnificent Work of Art
Jeff Koons on How Art Enlightens Him
The Future of Aesthetics with Dale Chihuly
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...