A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mermaid costume .... please help suggestions etc  (Read 936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

makeaneffort
« on: September 21, 2011 10:01:36 AM »

For halloween this year we are having a pirate party and all things of the sea is included in fancy dress so i would like to be a mermaid.
I have some super stretchy fabric for tail/skirt and some blue velvet fabric with hologramy sequins for the bra top. But im wondering if i should incorperate my shoes into the costume somewhow weird tiny flippers anyone??? I cant quite decide if i should have an actual tail or a long tight skirt with the frothy material at the bottom Huh I have looked at some of the previous costumes and they are fab. Any suggestions help on what is best most comfy especially as i will be working behind bar all night.
For make up im thinking green/blue skin with some gills on my neck and a greeny wig.
I have collected loads of shells so hopefully i can knock up some kind of a necklace and was thinking a tiara but i would have no idea how to go about it??
Thanks for any help/suggestions xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011 10:48:21 PM »

For shoefins, you could modify the flying shoes project from ThreadBanger. Then there's these shoes, posted about right here on Craftster Cheesy

For your tiara, the easiest and least expensive option would be to buy a party tiara or headband from a dollar store and hot-glue the shells to it. I'd use smallish shells, though, because the bigger ones would be more likely to get knocked loose and are also heavier (gravity works, and all that Tongue). Super glue or contact cement may be more permanent, but also slightly more expensive. Here's some examples of seashell tiaras for you:

One from Jolly Fine Jewellery
Persephassa's costume tiara
Georgiapeachez's mermaid crown
THIS ROCKS   Logged

makeaneffort
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011 02:30:01 AM »

Oh my god  Grin yaaaaa perfect thank you ..... totally inspired again now
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PentapodMonster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011 07:27:06 PM »

For your hobble skirt you could easily sew a long zipper up the back. That way when you are behind the bar you can unzip it half way or so and no one will see it, but when you come out you can zip it back up and be in full costume again. I don't think it matters if you use frothy fabric at the bottom or make flippers, I've seen both work very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms.Bonnie
One Crafty Queen

One Crafty-Queen, I Be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011 07:50:54 AM »

I would suggest the following treatments.

A. No long skirt or tail, if your working in a bar the floor might be dirty. I plan on being a mermaid as well except I'm doing mine as a skirt and top. I would think that maybe a pair of shorts with accessories might work out better if you have to work. Take a pair of green shorts and add some kelp or flair out the sides with fluttery material. That way your both comfortable and can move easily.

B. Shoes, your going to be working so these should be comfortable as possible. I would suggest low green heels or even high boots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baronessbookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011 01:34:49 PM »

Instead of doing a skirt, how about fitted pants with a swishy botton? Add some "fishing" netting in patchs here and there with a few shells attached. Or some fake treasuse.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
makeaneffort
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011 09:00:27 AM »

Thanks guys i wish i could wear shorts but i dont have the legs for them  Grin . I have pinned a skirt together from a cobbled pattern from an old pencil skirt. It will be my first project sewn from start so wish me luck, il need it. I have made it from very stretchy material ... il post pics at some point if it works  Undecided .The front is long the back ends at the knee so i can walk but then i have pinned a stretchy floaty panel out the back,not to long but means i can walk. Im on the hunt for a bra to mess about with and im going to attempt either a tiara as pictured from above suggestions or possibly some kind of a hat made to look like fishing net over my face and shells etc stuck to that (thanks for the inspiration for that baronessbookworm)...... I still love the idea of shorts and i might just make some and see how warm it is and how brave im feeling. I could wear shorts behind the bar then change into skirt later after my shift ends  Smiley going to be a late one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Transitions in Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Above and Below the Line Budgeting
Pulling Focus in Filmmaking
Learn About the Dutch Tilt in Film Making
The Difference Between High and Low Key Lighting
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...