A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 316,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
263 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday Party Questions...  (Read 2423 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2004 08:07:38 AM »

Hi all-

I'm hosting "Cat's Crafty Birthday Party'' this Sunday. She is turning 10, and we have about 8 girls between the ages of 8 and 12 who will be attending.

So far, I have the stuff for each girl to make her own soap, bath salts and lip balm.  But I will have these girls from 1pm until 4 pm.

Given that each of the crafts above can be completed in about 30 minutes, also allowing 30 minutes for cake, I'm short of things for them to do!

I was trying to think of something funky and fun that they could do but am drawing a blank- perhaps some sort of carrying case for all their goodies? A soap dish?

HELP!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyBubble

Help, help, a Herrible Hoffalump!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004 12:19:14 PM »

It seems like the ideas you have so far are bath/beauty oriented.  Extending on your idea of carrying cases, you could buy little vinyl bags of some sort and get supplies (rhinestones, ribbon etc.) to decorate them so the girls have a mini make-up bag.  Another similar idea is to go to someplace like Linen's N' Things and get those mini milk carton crates.  It is a lot of fun to weave grosgrain and silk ribbon through the holes, and it becomes a decorative bath carry crate.

If you aren't sticking to a bath/beauty theme, then you could make safety pin bracelets or something like that.  Just get a bowl full of safety pins, a bowl full of random smaller beads, and some elastic, and that could take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.

Hope this helps!

-Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reconstructed Skirts and other crafts
http://www.funkybubble.com
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004 07:47:04 PM »

friendship bracelets etc, may be kind of fun have the girls decorate their own paper bags to take all of the goodies home
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004 08:40:43 PM »

can you sew?  can you sew quickly?  I'd make little bags for them to put their stuff in and have them decorate with puffy paint and sequins and such.  or have iron ons on the bags and let them chose one and color it in with fabric markers, I still have one from girl scouts a long time ago.  just get some cheap-ish light colored fabric and sew little square bags, very simple square bags.  then get inch wide ribbon and put little handles on.

I'd totally go for bead bracelets.  all you need is thin elastic, the large type of seed beads, and maybe some other random nicer beads.  or memory wire, memory wire is good.  and it's good for all ages, even college students (we made beaded bracelets for the arts kick off this year  Cheesy )
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004 08:54:45 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004 08:49:17 PM »

I love jewelry.  It's easy and time-consuming.  You could make those ponybead critters, too.  

What about greeting cards?  Get some card stock.  A package of 50 sheets in 5 colors runs about $4.  You can do either half-size or quarter-size cards, but if you use cardstock and want to do the smaller, I recommend cutting the sheets in half rather than trying to do a quarter-fold.  Anyway, get some cute die-cuts and stickers, maybe some letter ones, too.  Since it's a birthday party, maybe have them make birthday cards.  (Not necessarily for the birthday girl, just for future use.)  I've always had a little trouble finding the right size envelopes, but discovered the other day that Kinkos carries both the half-size and quarter-size envelopes in a bazillion colors, $4 for 25.  That might be a bit expensive, but when it's either that or no envelopes, I opt for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004 08:50:58 PM »

oh, office max and office depot both have the right size envelopes for quarter sized paper for about $6 for 100.

and stamps.  stamps are good for making cards.  show them how you can do the trick of coloring a stamp with markers to get different colors on different parts, then breath on it and stamp.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004 08:53:08 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004 07:36:34 AM »

Thanks everyone for your great ideas.

We all had a blast at the party. The girls decorated plain white paper bags (I can't sew AT ALL!) with beads and feathers and puff paint and such and then wrapped their soaps in colored saran wrap and carried it home in the bags. I also had all the stuff for them to make bracelets, but they spent so much time working on their soaps that we just put the bracelet stuff in their loot bags..lol

They had such a good time making the bath salts and soaps I couldn't believe it. The lip balm was a HUGE hit too!

I was so pleased to see these 9 and 10 year olds mixing colors- my eight year old daughter's favorite color is purple, and we didn't have a soap dye for it, so she mixed red and blue until she got the shade she wanted...

I made me so happy watching all these little crafty chicks hard at work, and they were all amazed that they actually made the stuff.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...