A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ice cream made with homemade rice milk!  (Read 3114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeha
« on: September 21, 2011 09:06:44 AM »

While reading my new book Ice Cream the Whole Scoop by Gail Damerow, I was intrigued by the Rice Cream section. The book explains how to make rice milk by soft cooking rice and blending it with water.  This rice milk can then be used in any ice cream recipe!  So I had to try it. Here are the results
Pandan Flavor

Chocolate Banana

They both turned out really good!

The recipes and a lot more info are on my blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011 09:44:35 AM »

Brilliant!!!
My son is lactose intolerant, but being 3, LOVES ice cream! Making my own rice-cream would save me about $99957564216467698373564373.65 buying commercial soy-based ice creams!

Thank you for sharing this brillaint idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeha
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011 12:06:59 PM »

No problem, This turned out so good, no one has to feel like they are missing out on anything. It is even creamier than a lot of the low fat ice creams you can buy.  It is for sure a money saver, rice is already cheap and you hardly need much to make a quart of ice cream.
My daughter loved it, I don't think she believed me when I told her I made it out of rice Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krisjo
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011 04:44:19 PM »

Wow, that's a crazy green icecream! I've had commercial rice milk icecream before, but found it to be be more icy than creamy--does that ring true with yours that you made?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeha
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011 12:14:54 PM »

The ice cream was really hard right out of the freezer, but after letting it sit out a couple minutes it was scoopable. It has a very creamy texture I think it is the homemade rice milk. It turned out very thick more like rice cream, and the way I made it without straining out any of the rice makes for a lot of solids in the finished ice cream.  And from what I understand solids make icecream creamier, because it makes for less ice crystals. The only negative is it is colder on your tongue than dairy ice cream, kind of like sorbet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeha
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011 12:16:10 PM »

Oh yeah the crazy green is from the pandan extract I used. Not sure why it has so much food color in it but it tastes good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krisjo
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011 09:59:13 AM »

mmm sounds good--I had never heard of pandan before, I'm going to have to try it (is it easy to find in the states?) and once I have a functioning blender again I'll have to try my hand at some homemade ricecream! thanks for sharing your experience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeha
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011 07:57:06 PM »

Pandan is sometimes referred to as asian vanilla, though it tastes nothing like vanilla. It tastes kinda like jasmine rice smells. I got the extract at an asian supermarket near my house. I have read on the internet recently that you can buy fresh frozen pandan leaves at asian markets as well. that seems like it would result in an even better flavor, like the difference between vanilla extract and fresh vanilla beans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011 09:36:26 PM »

Pandan is the staple of South East Asian desserts and it's yummy! You can get pastes which are this lurid green (I like it that way) or extracts which impart a minty green colour. Actual pandan leaves (knotted up and thrown in with the mix) work as well but you need plenty to get the flavour. I live in Australia, but pandan is in every Asian grocer and the extract is in our supermarkets.

I really love the bright green one. Must make me some rice milk icecream!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
jeha
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011 12:42:15 AM »

@schnerby
Yes, I love pandan flavor. I have made pandan flavored mochi and now the ice cream. I haven't used it for anything else could you suggest some recipes??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best & Worst Beauty
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Highlighter For The Face
Zombie + Taylor Swift = Best Halloween Costume Ever
Best Pink Beauty Products That Give Back to Breast Cancer Charities
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...