A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ani Di Franco Knitting bag  (Read 746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 21, 2011 08:24:51 AM »

I couldn't resist taking this Ani Di Franco lyric out of context to decorate the front pocket of a bag I made for my friend Rach. I love Ani, especially her old stuff, and Rach does too.
It's kind of vaguely intended as a knitting bag, in return for the gorgeous slippers Rach knitted me, though it'll work as just a plain old tote too. The woolen fabric is strong enough that it won't rip if holes get poked in it by needles, and inside is a little needle holder bit with different size hoops for different size needles.
The handles are made from lengths of two different coloured fat satin ribbons (left over from presnet wrapping), as are the needle hoops.
The pocket on the front is just plain cotton, embroidered with chain stitch, back stitch and satin stitch (my first attempt at satin... and it's a world of hell. could not get the stitches to stay where i put them!), lined in more of the same cotton. It's about the right size to carry a Stitch & B***h book in the front pocket as i know those are Rach's faves. The buttons are decorative, not functional as I have not mastered buttonholes yet.
I've never made a bag before, and was a bit dubious that trying to put in side panels was a bit much (I'm not really that hot on a sewing machine) but it went ok and I'm glad i did because it means it'll be much more useful, bigger bag that you can easily fit a couple of balls of wool and a half finished project in.
Constructive criticism really welcome, I'd love to start building on my skills more (maybe something with a closing next)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011 10:33:08 AM »

This is a lovely knitting bag. I love the little loops for holding needles etc. 

I agree with you about satin stitch.  It is so uncooperative but sometimes it is the only option. 

Having said which yours came out perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoKiRees
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011 07:46:53 PM »

Very cute! I also love Ani!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look: 3 Ways to Wear Drapey Pants
Your LifeMinute Guide to Dating Style
How to Go from Fall to Winter Fashion
Get the Look: Hint of Leopard
Get the Look: Mad for Plaid
Latest Blog Articles
Marvelous Matryoshkas
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...