A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needing ideas for a halloween costume for a Great Pyrenees!  (Read 2420 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2011 01:15:03 PM »

The background: So, last year I adopted the coolest dog ever, Hugo (I'm not bias or anything, lol)!  Wink  He is Great Pyrenees and is roughly around 110 lbs (but he looks a lot bigger bc of all of the fur). Any-who, there is a big event where I live every October with the organization I volunteer with called "WoofStock" & you bring your dog, dress them up for Halloween, & hang out with other crazy animal people  Cheesy   Hugo didnt get to go last year bc, being a rescue, he had heartworm disease & was being treated for them. So this will be his WoofStock debut!

The Question: I wanted to dress him up in a Halloween costume (which I'm sure I could figure out a way to make, I'm good like that - LOL) But...I cant think of anything good for him to be?!?!?!  Huh I originally thought of trying to make him something based on his big white fluffiness, but the only 3 things I could come up with were 1) An armored bear from the Golden Compass - but apparently I'm like the ONLY one to have seen that movie. 2) The flying dog thing from A Never Ending Story (I think it's name is like Falcor, or something) but he doesnt really have an outfit. And lastly 3) a Coca Cola Bear - which I may still do bc its the only thing I can think of, but I didnt know if it was lame  Huh

* The only big considerations I have is that I am going to have to make it a light (in weight & coverage, not color) costume bc I live in Alabama near the Gulf Coast and it's still 85-90 at the end of October (and no, I dont shave him down - he stays inside & is a couch potato  Grin). 

So sorry that took For-ev-er (she says in a sandlot voice, haha)! And...without further ado... here is a pic of my handsome man for putting up with my insane rambling!  Shocked
  *Thanks so much for any suggestions/comments!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011 01:45:55 PM »

OMG, we have two Pyrenees who guard our livestock, I can't imagine them in the house.   Grin  I think Hugo is awesome.  Could you make him some sort of ruffly clown collar?  He'd look awesome as a court jester.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011 02:02:08 PM »

Well, my first thought is to get some of the pet approved vegtable based hair dye and dye him to match something interesting...like a marshmellow peep or a Smurf.  Or get different colors and make him a rainbow or some such.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about him getting hot due to some kind of outfit.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Top-Performance-Hair-Dye-Gels/51763.uts

My dog is black, other wise he would be purple or orange once in awhile.  But he is also only 10 pounds.  I have no idea how much coverage you would get from one jar.

Good luck   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
ashgraykitsune
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011 06:51:02 PM »

Well, there is a video game called Okami where this big guy could play the main character, Amaterasu. All he'd need is a little dog-friendly make-up *it can be hard to find, so if you can't, DON'T use human make-up. Bad, bad idea.* and a foam disk attached to his collar and around his belly to mimic the sun disk. Granted, I don't know how he'll take to that, but it's an easy outfit and he'd be plenty comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011 09:20:23 PM »

He is GORGEOUS and sweet, how could anyone not love him?? I think the armored bear idea is brilliant! (love that series) You could make the armor out of cardboard so it wouldn't be too hot...

Or you could make him a shark fin (on a strap that would buckle under his belly) and call him a Great White Shark!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crymson
I am the Lazy Druid.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011 07:57:03 AM »

First thing that popped to mind when I saw Hugo up there ->http://gotgame.com/2011/08/10/amaterasu-dog-cosplay-is-adorable-technically-not-torture/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MollyGirl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011 09:12:26 AM »

Dog costumes my favorite subject!!!

First thing that comes to my mind for some reason is a Yeti.  I would probably make a play on the fact that he is a livestock guardian dog and dress him in some sort of armor, like you mentioned.  Or, you could play on his French/Spanish history and dress him like a member of the  aristocracy.  Or he could be a shepherd.  Or you could go completely crazy and tease his fur up and make him look like a sheep.  That would be really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
MollyGirl
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011 09:13:30 AM »

BTW he is super cute.  These guys are great dogs!  Just placed a rescue Pyr the other day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
nikknits
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011 03:47:47 AM »

Maybe the Abominable Snowman?

He's a cutie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Gift Idea: Glittery, Customized Candles
DIY Gift Idea: Fun Duct Tape Frame
How to Make Sugar Flower Decorations
How to Make a Polka Dot Scarf
How to Make a Floral Collar
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...