A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: postage stamp necklaces... (tutorial added.)  (Read 129411 times)
Tags for this thread: fish , postage_stamp , necklace , microscope_slide , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wanching
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2006 12:18:20 AM »

wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookeashlea

What is this mess?

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2006 12:23:09 PM »

so, yesterday i looked through this entire thread and i was determined to try soldering some jewelry. i went to hobby lobby and bought everything and then last night i made 5.

theyre in order of which was made 1st, 2nd, and so on. (the first one... is obviously the first one! haha) and the 147 is a piece of paper that my friend gilbert wanted me to make a necklace of.. its their rap group name.  Wink the 1st one and the third purple flower one both have the same image on the back.

the 2nd image has this on the back....(live.) (theyre both kind of blurry)

the last image has this on the back(blurry as well)

the purple flower one is my faveeee. adn i know ill get better each one i do!

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006 12:28:03 PM by brookeashlea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft, craft, craft. it's an addiction i'm not willing to give up.
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2006 01:12:39 PM »

The reason that there is a difference between the electronic soldering and soldering on glass is due to the solder itself.  Solder used for electronics has a different make up than the solder you would use for stained glass or microscope slide pendants.  It is much easier to melt and much softer in design, which makes sense that it would melt just by coming in contact with the surface that was heated with the iron, rather than the iron itself.  You don't want to use electrical solder for these projects (I found that out the hard way-- it was disasterous!) 

When using solder for any glass art projects like this, you would want to use a special solder sold specifically for stained glass work.  Some solders have lead (which are ideal for regular stained glass projects!) but others are lead free, and are what you would want to use for any sort of jewelry you make.  (as it touches the skin.)  Also, the best results are created with the dragging technique-- hold your solder next to your iron and run along the seam.  Dabbing tends to make things messier, though you can create some interesting solder effects with that.

Also, solder in any form does give off bad fumes!  Make sure to do any of these projects in an area that is well ventilated.  I would even recommend wearing gloves of some sort to avoid touching the flux and chemicals-- your body absorbs everything, and these are, well, chemicals! 

That was much longer than I intended, but I hope it helps!  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/sonjaboo
http://pinterest.com/tuukkasmomma/

I am on a mission to collect an ATC from every state in the U.S.! Would love to trade ATCs with anyone interested!
McJulie-O
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2006 02:16:14 PM »

so, yesterday i looked through this entire thread and i was determined to try soldering some jewelry. i went to hobby lobby and bought everything and then last night i made 5.

theyre in order of which was made 1st, 2nd, and so on. (the first one... is obviously the first one! haha) and the 147 is a piece of paper that my friend gilbert wanted me to make a necklace of.. its their rap group name.  Wink the 1st one and the third purple flower one both have the same image on the back.

the purple flower one is my faveeee. adn i know ill get better each one i do!

Smiley

So, brookeashlea, you did a GREAT job! I think I like the purple flower the best, too!

When you got your supplies at Hobby Lobby, did you make sure that you bought the lead-free solder? They have all their solders together and the lead free is sometimes out at my store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imafigureskater
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2006 02:22:13 PM »

I have to agree with the "dragging" comments.  It is funny that someone else just posted their work from last night as I finished my first one last night!

Anyway, what do you think?  I am not happy with how the jump ring attachment is and am truly not sure how strong the joint is.  I decided to make a necklace that I could slide over my head and foolishly decided on the TWO jumprings ;-)  Although it isn't that clear in the photo, it is attached to a purple leather cord.  Next time, I am going to try to tape it in place first which has the added benefit of freeing up a hand!  I worked on this over three nights to get it right, and I think it came out pretty good!  (Oh, can you tell I love purple?  ;-)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2006 02:48:39 PM »

My DH bought me one of these for my last birthday and the clips on the end of those arms are WONDERFUL for holding things in place.
They're called third arms, and they have really helped me in this project. We tried homemade versions that were hard to use but this one is magnificent, although it doesn't come without the soldering iron and all the extra tips which are WAY cool, but I haven't used yet.

He bought mine at Home Depot on sale but here's the write up at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BASSKI/104-1789744-3985555?v=glance&n=228013
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imafigureskater
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2006 02:52:55 PM »

Thanks!  If taping it in doesn't help, I will have to explore one of those!

Editted to add - funny how none of the Amazon pics show the 3rd arms being used!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006 02:57:59 PM by imafigureskater » THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2006 03:12:21 PM »

Figureskater, You're right!
So I went looking for some pictures of the third arm in action and found one on the Black and Decker website
http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/TOOLS/LARGE/5/CI500S_A5.jpg

When I'm attaching a jumpring, I usually put the jumpring in the clamp on the left, opening to the outside. I brush flux on it at that junction and then on the place on the charm I want to attach it to. I add a little solder to the charm and then put tthe two (the jump ring and the charm) right next to each other and re-heat the solder on the charm so that I can join them together while the solder is melted....without the third arm the jump ring is the dickens to attach! (especially if it's a small jumpring!)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007 05:27:14 AM by jMi - Reason: Please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookeashlea

What is this mess?

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2006 05:15:46 AM »

So, brookeashlea, you did a GREAT job! I think I like the purple flower the best, too!

When you got your supplies at Hobby Lobby, did you make sure that you bought the lead-free solder? They have all their solders together and the lead free is sometimes out at my store.

thanks! and yeah i made sure to grab the lead-free! they had it at my store but there wasnt very much
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006 05:18:38 AM by brookeashlea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft, craft, craft. it's an addiction i'm not willing to give up.
zimfreak
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2006 06:04:02 PM »

Really, really cool idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><tr style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><td colspan="3" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: no
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lighter Carrot Cake Parfait Recipe
Irish Buttermilk Scone Recipe
How to Make Cannoli Chips and Dip Dessert
Lemon Meringue Tart Recipe
How to Make Cinnamon and Sugar Dough Balls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...