A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "too old fashioned even for us.".....  (Read 1605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A_WRIGHT
« on: September 18, 2011 07:40:37 PM »

So I finally entered some of my things in the county fair and I won a couple of ribbons (Woot)!  I had to post this first to toot my own horn and secondly to tell you about the craziness that I encountered.

Woohoo me for winning some blue ribbons my first year!!  (There, no more horn tooting.  Grin)

When I brought my big ole bag of goodies up to the desk to enter in the Household Arts category I told them my list of things to enter ".....knitted and crocheted hats and scarves, sewn knitting needle rolls and crochet hook rolls, and some handspun yarns I made" .  "Whoa, did you say you spun some yarn?  That may be too old fashioned for even us."  the lady said to me with a straight face!  Shocked  Can you believe she said that? For real!  So what did I do?  I reached in my big ole bag of goodies, whipped out a squishy jet black thread plied skein with lengths of grey supercoil, slapped it on the table, and said right back to her "Does that look old school to you? My grandma never knit anything like that."  As they reached out to touch and started with the oohs and ahhs that we all did the first time we saw handspun I looked at her and said with a straight face "Yes.  That's how I roll." 

Course after my "Oh yeah, I'm a yarn pimp" moment,  they said they had never had handspun entered in their lifetimes.  So they didn't know where to put my handspuns for entry, lol.  I ended up with one blue ribbon and two red ones from my three skeins entered.  When I picked them up today the lady who returned them to me actually apologized to me and said they all agreed I should have had a purple best in show ribbon but the judge had no idea what handspun was, lol.  She told me she was there when the judge picked up one of my skeins and said something to the effect of "well, look at that. It has pieces of yarn hanging out the bottom".  She told me she tried to explain it was where some lookey-lou pulled a few strands loose from the wound skein but she said the judge had no idea what she was looking at anyway, lol.

Overall, I feel proud of my ribbons but shocked that by the reactions to my yarns.  I think spinners rock personally and the more people think it's too old fashioned the more fiber there is for me to buy up and spin!

Anyone else ever entered your handspun in the county or state fair?  If so, what was the reaction to yours? 

Oh yeah, here is the stuff I entered and the ribbons.  I barely made it all fit in my lightbox, lol. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.lewbugcreations.etsy.com

Handspun Yarns & Hand Painted Roving
me04071986
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011 07:47:16 PM »

I can't believe no one enters their own homespun? Just shows you we are growing into a culture of "all the rewards, none of the work". Kudos to you though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm just another stitch in time...
sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011 10:15:57 PM »

wow!...just wow. lol
Do ya think the judge went home afterwards and did some research? she should have. those yarns are really pretty...and anybody should be able to tell that a lot of effort went into them...but kudos for puzzleing the ladies   Huh    i bet the looks on their faces were awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011 11:34:23 PM »

Holy amount of ribbons! And as if they judge had no clue what handspun was, it seems they didn't even  know what a skein was, how can a person live without knowing this? Must be a terribly cold life lacking fibery goodness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuneAriala
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011 03:34:38 AM »

I guarantee they have such a category at our fair.  There are three fiber arts stores within spitting distance to the ag center, so I'd be embarrassed for our fair county if there wasn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011 07:37:04 AM »

Someone told me should enter my yarn into the fair but I have no idea how.
WOW! Ribbons! So many!
Any way we could get  a picture of just the yarns? I see them, but not very well, and I think they would make me happy.

Oh, and I sell yarn at the farmer's market and there are SO MANY people who think my hanks are necklaces or something like that instead. I always tell them Yeah, you could use it as that if you want (since I do myself for a while after I finish a new skein, only around the house though, so far) but that's not the intended purpose. And so many other people stop with the "Ooh, pretty, what is this mystery?" look on their faces and then I say that it's yarn and they drop it and walk away. WHAT?! People are crazy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011 07:40:42 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
A_WRIGHT
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011 08:55:38 AM »

Jexxican, here's a few pictures of the yarns themselves. Hope they make you happy!  My three year old usually wears mine for a minute or two as a necklace or a shash when they come off the skein winder, lol.

The first one is 50/50 19 micron Merino and Tussah silk that I made for my mom.

This one is black 19 micron merino plied with thread and with grey supercoil sections.

& thread plied merino with beehives in nearly neon colors.

The black & grey is the only one that recieved a blue ribbon, red ribbons for the other two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.lewbugcreations.etsy.com

Handspun Yarns & Hand Painted Roving
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011 10:43:00 AM »

oh nom. those are yummy yarns.  Great work on all the blue ribbons!

Gotta love when someone asks "what ARE you doing?!?  Making yarn?!?"  always so confused.  We'll all just have to educate the world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011 09:50:15 AM »

Great job!!  Way to educate!  The start of a collection of MANY blue ribbons in your future, I'm sure!!

I love the "You make YARN??  Can't you just buy it at the store??  How much did your wheel cost compared to just buying yarn at the store??" comments I get.

I finally figured out the equivalent -- that's like telling someone who loves to paint, "Why bother painting it yourself?  You can buy a sofa-sized oil painting for $29 at the starving artists sale at the Holiday Inn next weekend."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Five Essentials For Fall Fashions
New York Fashion Week Detail Cam: Shoes - Spring 2014
H&M Fashion Haul
How to Get the Selena Gomez Look
Four Fun Looks for Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...