A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,975
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions Needed- Bracelet to make in an hour with group?  (Read 808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftFro

I'm all beady these days.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 18, 2011 06:39:15 PM »

Long time, no Craftser!

Hey Everybody,

I'm going on a Woman's retreat with a group of friends (15 folks) and have been charged to come up with a bracelet project that we can all do together in about an hour.

Only two or three other people are regular crafters. But quite a few of them would love to be. None are beaders, except me ocassionally. I normally do things with crochet and seed beads but that's much too complicated for the group of novices in such short time.  Initially I wanted to do a paper bead bracelet. They're eco-friendly and super fun to make. But the drying time is prohibitive.

So, I need your help/suggestions. Know of any good basic (but still challenging enough to be fun) bracelet projects?

I've been having a hard time thinking of something because while I love being the part of the group (women friends are wonderful), we're so diverse that it's hard to think of something everyone will like. We're women from diverse backgrounds aged from 29 to 63.

Ideally I'd like it to be something that even our most high cultured friend will wear (you know the woman who never wears anything handmade, but buys her gold from QVC (jokes) Smiley as well as that will go with the earthy gear of another woman who makes her own soaps and works at a co-op.

Any ideas of bracelets or tutes to look at will be super helpful because at this point I've got too many ideas and not enough of a vision. I've been scouring the net for hours and find most of the one strand stringing projects too simple.

Here are the only three parameters:
1. It has to be completable in about an hour (maybe an hour and a half)
2. The materials should cost less than $10 per person
3. We should be able to personalize it to our group, so that it will be a keepsake (something nice!)

Soooo, HELLLLPPPPPP PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm addicted to polyclay and beads right now. HELP!
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011 04:17:39 AM »

How bout a leather wrap bracelet? They're done kinda like this, but there's LOTS of videos on YouTube about this type of bracelet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftFro

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011 08:53:49 AM »

Thanks. I totally forgot about wrap bracelets and I've made quite a few myself! I think it may be what I'm looking for.

I wonder if there is some alternative type of cording that has a bit of a shine to it for our more flashy friend. Hmm.

Dang it! I had to edit this because I just remembered part of the difficulty with some of my ideas - at least two of us don't do leather!

So, cord suggestions???
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011 08:57:48 AM by CraftFro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011 11:02:53 PM »

I think any sort of cording would be fine. Satin rattail cording would work for light-weight beads, and braided cord for heavier beads. You could even try round "gimp," aka round vinyl lacing (here's some pony-bead lacing, too). I know I've seen vegan "leather" cording somewhere... Another option would be to suspend the beads between two narrow bangles.

Hope I've given you some ideas! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MichaelaJewelry
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011 11:47:04 AM »

Hi there, how about these bracelets....  They look simple enough and very effective. I haven't yet tried making them myself but when I go to the bead show this weekend I'm going to get myself the supplies and make a few.... http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/73pS02/honestlywtf.com/diy/diy-wrap-bracelet/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftFro

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011 12:33:25 PM »

You all are super.

Thanks Alexus1325 for linking those cords for me. I guess I just always use leather or crochet cotton for my stuff, these are great suggestions.

MichaelaJewelry -- I really like the idea of using the chain link, mostly because it may be easier for folks who aren't crafty to handle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachieClean
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011 12:54:31 PM »

Well, I'm probably not really the person to be responding, however I find that a lot of people really like the look of http://mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=413.  It's really simple to do, basically just make a chain then add two rings off of each other ring.  Different metals and beads can be added to personalize and unless you're using tiny rings you should be able to get a bracelet out from start to finish within an hour.  As for supplies, as long as you've got a little while before the retreat, you can always get http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=89&cat=Chainmail+Jewelry+Kits&websess=47101590861757 which will give you loads of kinds/colors of rings without having to worry about picking sizes.  The supplies should be less than $10 per person this way and for pliers, I'm sure everyone has at least one pair, and you can get cheap pliers online and in places like Walmart and the Dollar Store.  Also, please remember that Nickel-silver is -not- silver and that it has a lot of nickel in it which is the metal most people are allergic to.  Good luck with your search!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
CraftFro

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011 07:41:55 AM »

Oooh, PeachieClean, I like the look of the chain mail.  I surely will try it, even if I don't do it with the group. I've been looking to get my feet wet with metal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Blowout Hairstyles
African American Hair: Mohawk Hairstyle, Foxy Rihanna Mohawk
Hair Highlighting Tips - Aftercare
Highlighting Part Hair and Applying Color
How to Prepare for Hair Highlighting
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...