A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,775
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nylon Net pot scrubbers- tutorial with pics, and video clip link  (Read 35463 times)
Tags for this thread: scrubber , tutorial , nylon_net , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tasana
« on: September 18, 2011 03:58:18 PM »

I love making these! You can make 2-3 per yard of material.

The pattern:

First you need a size K crochet hook.

Then, get a yard of "Net" material at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. It comes on a bolt like fabric. There are many types of tulle but this is what you need. It has bigger holes and coarser. Of course, you can use the softer tulle and use as bath scrubbies. This type of netting is only for kitchen use as it's too coarse for the skin.They sell for about a $1 per yard.

I like to buy it in one yard increments because I like the size that one yard makes. If you buy it let's say 2 yards long, then you're scrubby will be larger. That's because 7 strips equals 1 scrubbie. I'll explain more later.

Take your material and unfold it until it looks like it did when you got it cut at the store. There should be a fold at the bottom. I then like to fold it up once more and use clothespins or weights to hold it all in place. Don't try to cut it without doing this first, because the material will move and it will be a mess. I threw out many yards of material in frustration as I tried to cut it before doing this step. I was left with a mess! lol

The picture is a little hard to see but you just lay it like this:

And then fold up once more. You can even fold up again, but I don't.

I cut it in 1 to 1 1/2 inch wide strips.

Don't worry about measuring each strip. If you have to, measure the first one so you know about how wide to cut it and then just eyeball it.

Here are the strips ready to store in ziploc bags ready when I need them.

If I have multiple colors, I'll keep them in the same bag. Three sets will fit nicely in a ziploc quart sized bag.

Now, that you have 7 strips ready to go. Here's what you do!

Take the first strip and chain 3. Then make 5 single crochets in the first chain. Try not to pull too tightly when you get done with each one. You want it to stay loose. If you pull too tight, you will break the netting material. If that happens, no big deal. Use the method I will teach you and you won't have any waste.

After you make 5 single crochets in the first chain, then continue around and make 2 single crochets in each chain.

Before you run out of netting when you have about 2 inches left. Take the next strip, and lay it underneath (or on top) of the previous strip. Sorry it's kind of hard to see.

I then take it from the top and fold it down. Then, I take my finger and give it a twist to hold it in place.

Also see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tOcoNSKhE

Then continue making 2 single crochets in each chain around.

Keep going until you almost run out of material again. (This method keeps your work from looking knotty and will never unravel on you. - I didn't understand how it wouldn't come apart on itself but in all the months of using my scrubbies, I have never had one of them fall apart.

When you almost run out of netting, connect it as I said, but this time change to doing only one single crochet in each chain around. You will repeat this procedure for the next 4 strips. It will start to look kind of like a bowl.

And for the last strip, (continue to attach as I said) you will make one single crochet in every other chain. This will start to close the bowl up. Then, when you close up the hole, you will poke the crochet hook through to the other side and pull the netting through.

And there you have a nylon net pot scrubber!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011 01:46:14 PM by tasana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011 11:44:52 AM »

Wow, these are cool! I use nylon nets for scrubbing, but I never thought about crocheting them into something tighter - I'll have to try this! How do you use the nets - whole, or do you cut them up into a kind of yarn?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011 11:46:38 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasana
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011 04:05:28 PM »

I posted a tutorial on my blog: http://noelwright.blogspot.com/2011/08/pattern-for-crochet-pot-scrubber.html

I plan to post one up here once I get more netting.

I like my pattern because I only have to count strips to make one. 7 strips is one scrubbie. The pattern is so easy! and no knotting the ends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasana
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012 07:59:28 AM »

I added a new longer video from start to finish if anyone wants to see how it's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggmomma
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012 10:13:10 AM »

These are great! I've had some for about 6 years now and only one has had to be pitched. The was up great in the washer. And scrub all the gunk out of my teflon pans with out scratching. Excellent tute. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He asked, and I said yes.
I'm looking for Home Interiors resin butterflies, and License plates from other states. PM me for swap info. I love to swap.
tasana
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012 11:58:24 AM »

Wow, these are cool! I use nylon nets for scrubbing, but I never thought about crocheting them into something tighter - I'll have to try this! How do you use the nets - whole, or do you cut them up into a kind of yarn?
I cut them into strips
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chinese Food Meal Plan
Common Chinese Food Raw Sauces and Ingredients
How to Cut Chicken Meat into Strips and Triangle Shapes
Learn Chinese Food Cutting and Preparation Techniques
How to Cut Carrots into Slices ,Dice and Roll Cut- Chinese style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...