A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: perfume?  (Read 1337 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shellibelli
« on: September 18, 2011 06:29:47 AM »

has anyone tried making perfume? can you use fragrance oils instead of essential oils? (because they have fragrance oils at walmart for $2 so while i'm learning i'd like to do it cheap till i get the hang of it)  is it less complicated and time consuming to make the roll on perfume or hard perfume balm things?

i was inspired to see if i can make my own when i sampled perfumes at anthropologie. omfg they are the best!!! i HAVE to learn.

Grin

also other resourses that ive read wich seemed a little complicated said you have to mix the notes in a certain order. what if you didnt? would it really make a difference? i mean it all gets mixed together anyway. also can you make a perfume out of one or 2 scents?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetyetevil
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011 05:55:39 AM »

You can only use the fragrance oils if they are specifically made for body products along with proper dilution of a carrier oil with it or other mixer. If you use ones for popourri (sp) or for burning to scent rooms you could really get a rash or chemical burn depending on someones skin sensitivity.
 I am no expert on mixing products but it may make a difference in the finished product if you are to mix one thing before another. It is trial and error depending on what you like for many things though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IngerLand
create because you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 07:26:49 PM »

do you want to make oil based or alcohol based perfumes? oil based are pretty easy, alcohol based can be more of a challenge and more fun, imho. There are a ton of books about perfume making--check out your local library first...that way you can check them out before spending $$ on a book that you don't like. and try to find a different fragrance oil supplier--I can imagine that the FO's available at wally world are not the best/highest quality. MareMare put together a very comprehensive list of online suppliers of everything that you'd need to make bath/body/perfume products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY. Create anarchy.
sporadic
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011 09:23:13 AM »

Here is an Artisan's Perfume Base:  http://rusticescentuals.com/Bases-c-89/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011 01:27:28 PM »

If you're going super super easy, you can just mix and match essential oils and put them into Everclear or rubbing alcohol.  You never want to add more than a little bit of essential oils per ounce of alcohol (the site I used said no more than 20% per base of alcohol but I think that would knock you over haha).  I just made my first batch and kept it really simple..  I added about a 1/4 of an ounce of lavender essential oils to about 4 ounces of rubbing alcohol.  That was PLENTY of scent haha!  It's been about 8 hours, and I think I still smell lovely Smiley

A good mix if you're thinking essential oils might be jasmine and ylang ylang or some of the citruses (I love Lime essential oil).  Make sure to google which essential oils irritate your skin before you start! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bogert
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011 01:33:50 AM »

Can try Fragrance oil :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellibelli
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011 06:36:44 AM »

thanks so much for all the help! and replys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sporadic
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011 08:35:49 PM »

http://rusticescentuals.com/Artisan-s-Perfume-Base.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011 07:33:33 AM »

If you're going super super easy, you can just mix and match essential oils and put them into Everclear or rubbing alcohol.  You never want to add more than a little bit of essential oils per ounce of alcohol (the site I used said no more than 20% per base of alcohol but I think that would knock you over haha).  I just made my first batch and kept it really simple..  I added about a 1/4 of an ounce of lavender essential oils to about 4 ounces of rubbing alcohol.  That was PLENTY of scent haha!  It's been about 8 hours, and I think I still smell lovely Smiley

A good mix if you're thinking essential oils might be jasmine and ylang ylang or some of the citruses (I love Lime essential oil).  Make sure to google which essential oils irritate your skin before you start! 

Wah, awesome!  I've been wanting to make my own perfume for a long time, and this sounds just simple enough that I might get off my butt and do it (like... right this second).  Mmm, ylang ylang.  Thanks, lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Real-Life Consequences
Constricted Into Gender Roles
Jenette Kahn - First Female Comic Book Executive
Follow Your Passion
A Mother To So Many
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...