A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Ecuadorian Trade Bead rebuild...world's longest re-stringing job!  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread: beads , trade_beads , vintage , antique , necklace , coin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MezzanineSoprano
« on: September 17, 2011 04:16:20 PM »

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/MezzanineSoprano/KC3long.jpg[/img]]

I was asked to re-create this VERY LONG old necklace for a family friend, and it's a good thing it is so interesting because it took me nearly 10 hours. (Whew!)  It is so long that it falls nearly 10" below my waist. (The woman who owns it is very tall, so it probably comes to almost her waist.)

She bought this antique bead necklace from a native lady in the Ecuadorian mountains about 40 years ago, but it had been sitting in a box for years after the string fell apart.

The coins are dated in the 1800's and most are from Ecuador although I think one is Mexican.  Some are so worn that the coins are almost completely smooth & you can't read the dates.  The beads appear to be old Venetian and possibly Czech trade beads. Some are old red white hearts.  I had never seen South American trade beads before but I have some similar ones that were traded into Africa.

A lot of the beads were unstrung so I had to guess how to re-create as closely as possible to the way they were.  I did use a black kumihimo type cord for strength. Probably a necklace this old has been re-strung multiple times before anyway.

Now I have to find time to re-string the OTHER old necklace that she asked me to fix.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011 05:38:56 PM »

Beautiful on restringing all those beads. You are definitely a good friend. I hope you post the other necklace when you finished. I would like to see it.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
UnicornDiamond
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011 04:41:25 PM »

Oh wow! You did a fantastic job, it looks great! I bet it was fun working with all of those old beads and coins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowrider
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011 10:07:57 PM »

I just got back from Ecuador and saw these types of necklaces in museums, I love it! Such an inspiring place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all the freaky people make the beauty of the world
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emma Stone Shows Us How to Make Cocktail Dresses Daytime-Casual
Tips For Wearing Peplum Tops
Neon Fashion Trend Blowing Up
Street Chic: Rock Chicks
Nicole Richie Perfects NYC Cool in Fringe, Fur, and Leather
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...