A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,646
Currently Running With Scissors:
771 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you do with your extra tiddly bit floss?  (Read 1191 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iseeaplatypus09
« on: September 16, 2011 03:13:51 PM »

Ok so when you pull apart your floss for finer detail or whatever, and you only need to use two strands, what do you do with your extra strands? (like if you don't need to use the color again in the work)

Also Jenny Hart mentions that you can "strip" your floss before working with it so it looks super smooth, and you do that by running it over velcro. But which side of velcro I wonder. The hooks or the felt-like side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamnotadoll
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011 12:07:50 AM »

put it back on the bobbin to use again later?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarabeth
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011 07:33:09 PM »

When I was first starting to embroider, I just dropped it to the bottom of my work bag. It accumulated and tangled and eventually became quite a problem. At that point I cleaned out the bag, got rid of the half inch long pieces, untangled the remaining portion, and knotted the remaining length. Now when I don't need much  of a color I go to the bits, which are now sorted in broad color groups and still float around the bottom of my work bag tangling in everything.

That's the thing about embroidery, if you get very into it all that extra floss will never be a waste. It's like how quilters are always looking for scrap projects, an embroiderer is always thinking, "Well, I only need a tiny bit of pink for the lapel flower..."

I would also like to point out that my work bag is not the respectable object you are picturing in your head. It is not some tote bag that has been lovingly embroidered with motifs of dancing bobbins and needles. It's a gallon size freezer bag filled with string.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePQ4
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011 08:39:39 AM »

I would also like to point out that my work bag is not the respectable object you are picturing in your head. It is not some tote bag that has been lovingly embroidered with motifs of dancing bobbins and needles. It's a gallon size freezer bag filled with string.

...Mom??
Just kidding

But yes --the right idea! I keep a a stash of index cards in my desk that I wind extra bits around to keep in the pencil case where I stash my supplies. If you want something more "proper" looking, you can by floss keepers --a plastic box w/ dividers for each color, and actual floss cards (I'm they have real names, I just know them) that are notched to keep things secure. You can find them at any fabric/craft store like Michaels, Joanns, or even WalMart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchyspaz
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011 04:19:50 PM »

I use one of those plastic cases divided into little squares for my supplies. I have one square devoted to floss odds and ends. Sometimes I end up using those scraps because I only need a short bit. Mostly I like looking at the swirl of colors.

I also have a piece of velcro in my supply box that I use to strip floss. I use the hook side because it grips the strands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merrywether
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011 08:39:55 AM »

I have a little glass jar on the table next to my stitching spot on the couch that I put them in. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisa35
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011 01:21:04 PM »

I use the small bags on a ring. I usually put it back with that color. I usually keep an extra bag on there for the extras. When I have time I put it back with that color. I also have a few bags on a different ring where I have several different colors in one bag and each thread is wrapped around a cardboard bobbin thing. They are great for a small rainbow on a bookmark!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shesactualsize
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012 05:55:13 PM »

I keep the extra bits and pieces in little resealable plastic bags--the kind the sell with the jewelry supplies in craft stores--with the floss number written on them in Sharpie. They all fit in an empty compartment in my floss organizer and don't get tangled up that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Disobedient Child
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012 06:36:04 AM »

Floss holders, compartmentalised plastic boxes - you lot are so organised, I have organiser envy Cheesy  But what I do with my leftovers is roll them loosely round my fingers so they're in a loop, and drop them into an old travel-first-aid box (about 4" by 3").  I then use the bits up on various other projects, including my WIP sampler which I use just to practise my stitches.  Colour's not so important on there, I can just use what I have.
OK so every now and then I have to untangle a few unruly  threads, but hey, we all love an excuse to get our threads out in public.  Don't we? Er...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carbon Copy: Get NYFW Street Style Looks For Less
Street Chic: Chelsea, London Style
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Dress Code Violations From The 2013 Grammys
Best & Worst Dressed From The Grammys 2013 Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...