A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 308,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A lovely coat...  (Read 10473 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LittleBlueTeacup
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005 06:27:16 AM »

I read this thread last week... People started off talking about Violet's dress and then got to talking about her coat. I think some craftsters have already made versions of the dress, and are working out the coat.

I love it too... But there's no way I could attempt to make it just yet - I'm still only up to bags and cushion covers! Smiley

(oops, forgot to paste in the link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=20282.0 )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005 11:18:18 AM »

Is there a more experienced sewer who'd be willing to mentor this project?

Not insulting anybodies sewing skills or anything, but in my experience, it's nice to have someone who will answer your questions...

I might be willing to do this for my 6yo daughter for fall 2005, and I am trying to be humble but at the same time volunteer to mentor because I have been sewing professionally for weddings/grads for the last few years and consider myself at least skilled enough for this.....maybe rate myself advanced, but not quite expert.........

Anyways, my email is dnmgiordano@hotmail.com if anyone has questions, or PM me, or post here and I will check back every-so-often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005 03:34:48 PM »

That would be great! I fall in your shadow, oh lovely sewer!!

I didn't realize how entirely bad I was until my bobbin ran out of thread and I had to call my mom because I didn't know how to load the bobbin with thread.

Once I get the pattern drafted, which I'm working on, I swear, it's just taking a really long long time, I'll post it. And then get started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005 03:53:42 PM »

That would be great! I fall in your shadow, oh lovely sewer!!

I didn't realize how entirely bad I was until my bobbin ran out of thread and I had to call my mom because I didn't know how to load the bobbin with thread.

Once I get the pattern drafted, which I'm working on, I swear, it's just taking a really long long time, I'll post it. And then get started.

no need for flattery lol.  why not start with a basic coat pattern and adjust it? 

for example, get one with the collar you need, then use the biggest size sleeve cap for the puff sleeve then taper it down to the right size and length? 
Lenghten the coat and add some godets to get the flared look, I think its godets in her jacket but will take another look.

don't let the front edges of the coat overlap, use a facing for them and add the button details after.

don't forget to line it, I will post a site about bagging your linning later if anyone wants it.
and remember......press every step of the way for a professional result.

And again, any questions PM me or email me.

HTH

Michelle Giordano

P.S.  I will start working on my daughters coat soon and post pics of my progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

americandemockracy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005 04:12:45 PM »

*hides* I've been working on it. But I'm way to hardcore to adapt a pattern, so I'm completely winging it.

Okay, that was a lie. I have a pattern for a long chinese style dress and one of these kind of hippie-ish tops that I'm modifying into the jacket. In my design sketch, I made some changes, but haven't really worked on it the past couple of weeks. meh. summer reading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005 04:36:33 PM »

this is one of the best ones that i've found...

http://www.costumersguide.com/violet/coat4.jpg
wow after seeing that huge picture....i think i like Klaus's coat better. haha. and i want sunny's dress in a big kid size.
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
americandemockracy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005 04:38:26 PM »

http://www.costumersguide.com/violet/coat10.jpg

Ok, heres a pic. when i finally find my sketch book, I'll post the pic I drew, but I changed it around a bit. I don't really like the fastners, but don't know what to do with them. I added detachable lace on the bottom of my design and a large bow that can be off on the back (one that ties, to make the jacket more fitted). My version of the jacket is fitted with godets that cause the jacket to flare quite a bit more than it does in the movie. I kind of like a mandarin inspired collar, so I think that might be changed. So really, it's not a lot like her coat, but her coat is the inspiration.

Edit:: I know that the jacket is already fitted, but I intend for my version to be a bit looser...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 02:17:49 PM by meleriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

americandemockracy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005 11:05:42 AM »

okey. here's my sketch.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

americandemockracy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005 02:05:53 PM »

I did amazing things today. I sat down with a New Look Pattern for all sorts of chinese inspired tops, cut them out, transferred them to brown paper, changed that, made 'em longer, cut out a long front pieces with button shanks, a back piece, a back longer piece, a collar, sleeves (from brown paper, again) and then sat back and said

"aha! I have made my pattern for my violette-ish/frock-ish coat!!"

all in the 10 tracks and 52 minutes of Misery Loves Company's "Your vision was never mine to share.

Grin Yeah! Yay! I'm am the shiz-nit!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shmooey
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005 10:06:36 AM »

this is an awesome looking pattern (the one origonally linked) I will TOTALLY be making this once the pattern comes out! weee! im excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...