A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit picks Shine yarn for BBBB?  (Read 1979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SRU2004
« on: June 12, 2005 02:16:26 PM »

I have been looking for something affordable, yet nice to use to make the Big Bad Baby Blanket for my future niece or nephew.  I like the colors and price of the Knitpicks Shine yarn, but I don't know if it would be appropriate for this project.  Anyone know? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Anita~~
stringy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005 07:13:01 AM »

The KnitPicks Shine looks lovely, and it's machine washable so that's definitely a plus for a baby blanket. The other thing to look for is how soft the yarn is, because babies have more sensitive skin.

Find out what gauge the recommended yarn is for the BBBB and compare it to the Shine, but if they're slightly different it might not matter too much - you might just have to cast on a different number of stitches and knit more or fewer rows to get the size you want. But because it's not a garment, a slight difference in gauge isn't a problem.

I used a yarn slightly thicker than the Shine for my BBBB, cast on the same as the pattern, and knitted until the blanket looked square-ish. It's a pretty forgiving pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dukeslax44
the sporty knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005 12:19:32 PM »

I would definitely reccommend the Shine yarn it is sooo soft and not expensive... i am using it now to knit a camisole and love love love it!! it knits up very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything happens for a reason??? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the reason
SRU2004
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005 01:12:18 PM »

Thanks for your responses.  One more question though...do you think I need to knit using 2 strands together like the Koigu pattern calls for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Anita~~
linda63pt
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005 06:14:39 PM »

I am planning to knit the BBB for a nephew or niece to arrive in Dec.  Would love to see people's results.  I've been trying to knit something with shine!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizacrandall
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005 03:02:58 PM »

I'm using shine right now and it works up at a very similar gauge to Koigu.  I would recommend holding two strands together and see how the gauge comes out.  It should be pretty close, but with the BBBB, gauge isn't as important as it would be for a sweater.
Good luck!
Eliza
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nellum
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005 02:36:46 PM »

Shine is my yarn God! I love it so much.  The "grass" colour is gorgeous, and I'm using it now to make a camisole from Vintage Knits.  I think any baby would be in heaven wrapped up in "Shine"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alligatorjuice
overworked, unappreciated and undercooked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005 07:34:52 PM »

shine rocks. i just got some with my birthday yarn money. i knit up a swatch, and yeah, i have to agree that it would be awesome for the bbbb. swatch it first. and if you can't get the right gague, just knit till you get something squarish. the pattern seems more like guidelines. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting is something i do when life doesn't present me enough ways to dye my hands funny colors.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Embarrassed Face Manga Style
How to Paint a Building in Two-Point Perspective
How to Draw a Cartoon Face
How to Create a Silk Painting
How to Learn Fabric Painting Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...