A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday Date Book Swap, with fellow Craftsters' B-Days included  (Read 1600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 15, 2011 03:53:25 PM »

So this might not be a great idea, but I just thought about it and I kinda like it. Would love to know other thoughts as well!

The idea of the swap would be to trade Birthdays and addresses with everyone in the swap (done through PM, not posted publicly). Partners would then craft/decorate a date/address book including all the Birthdays and addresses, and maybe an extra small crafted item for extra fun (Birthday cards, hand carved stamps, ATC, or other crafted item). The swap would only require the address book and one other small item. The bonus would be that you might get Birthday cards from fellow Craftster members on your Birthday Cheesy It would be too impossible to make sending Birthday cards a requirement, but I think it would be fun to be able to  Smiley I know I've made quite a few craftster friends and if I had their Birthdays and addresses organized I would love to be able to send them a B-Day card  Smiley

What do you think? Too crazy? Everyone signing up would have to be comfortable with sharing their address and Birthday with a large number of "strangers"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011 04:06:56 PM »

I like this idea.

On my last birthday, I received cards from:

my dentist
LensCrafters
DSW
and my mother

I love getting cards in the mail - handmade cards are even better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Working
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
3-D Bugs coming soon....
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011 06:03:38 AM »

I like the idea, but it would add a whole new element of guilt in my life because I would be sure to forget for the one person who remembers everyone else.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011 08:02:08 AM »

I like the idea, but it would add a whole new element of guilt in my life because I would be sure to forget for the one person who remembers everyone else.  Cheesy

lol, I'm worried about that too  Tongue But you could always send them a Christmas card (or other winter holiday) to make up for it  Wink We could include a question about holiday's celebrated in the questionnaire for anyone that wants to send out Wintery cards instead of (or along with) Birthday cards  Cheesy

I like this idea.

On my last birthday, I received cards from:

my dentist
LensCrafters
DSW
and my mother

I love getting cards in the mail - handmade cards are even better!

Me too! And when I get cards from random places like car dealerships I'll admit I get a little excited, even though I know I'm not that special to them  Roll Eyes Just think of the added excitement getting a card from a craftster friend would be!  Cheesy (And I agree, handmade cards would make it even better)

And again, sending cards would be a bonus extra, but not required. (I don't want to discourage anyone by making them think this is a year-long swap  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
kartiana

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011 10:00:13 AM »

I received a PM from a swap mod this morning that suggests there be an age limit of 18 for this swap. Since everyone would be sharing their addresses with everyone in the swap it just seems like a good idea. I'm so glad the mods mentioned that to me 'cause I hadn't even thought of it and I do agree that it should be an 18+ swap. I also think this swap should be limited to people that have completed one swap previously.

So when should we start? I can organize, but probably not till after Thanksgiving, would December be too crazy/busy for this swap? It should be pretty easy but I know that December can be too hectic already for some people. What about January?

and here are some questions I'm thinking should be on the questionnaire and I would love to know what everyone else thinks:

~ When is your Birthday?
~ What other holidays/events do you celebrate (please share dates for lesser known holidays, anniversary, etc)?
~ Are there any holidays you don't celebrate?
~ Do you understand your Birthday and address will be shared with everyone in this swap and crafster is not responsible for any misuse of this information? (yes/no)
~ Addresses shared with you in this swap are not for advertising, propaganda, political purposes. Do you agree not to spam anyone in this swap without their consent?

Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

kartiana

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011 10:04:35 AM »

If there is enough interest to start sooner someone else is more than welcome to organize! Or co-organize and be ready to take over when I get too busy (I'm in a play that opens in November and will be gone one week in November). It shouldn't be a long swap, but my last organizing job lasted way way waaaaay too long and I don't want to disappear if this one drags on (crossing my fingers and toes that it doesn't). Maybe two weeks for signups and a month or so for crafting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Oyhana
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011 04:39:48 PM »

I was thinking about this swap idea the other day and wanted to give it a bump.  I hope it's still a go.  I want to send surprise cards to people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
Smmarrt

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011 03:32:27 PM »

I think January would be a great month to do this - get prepared for the year ahead. And the January birthday peeps would just be getting thier cards a tad late....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Working
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
3-D Bugs coming soon....
kartiana

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011 04:33:50 PM »

January sounds good to me  Smiley I should be able to organize around then
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

JillHogan
Jill

I don't throw things away.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011 01:47:27 PM »

This sounds fun!
I love unexpected cards.
I'll keep my eyes out for it in January.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.60#axzz2oulo2ajK

My pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/jill_hogan/

I love swapping altered puzzle pieces.  PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Embroider Pillows
How to Dry Flowers
How to Give Wood an Antique Look
Learn the Basics Of Ikebana
How to Paint Stone
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...