A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first doll -- Fairy!  (Read 542 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grenouille78
« on: September 15, 2011 01:16:15 PM »

Ok, not my first doll, but the first real doll I've ever made if you don't count Melchizedek the gnome I made for the roaming gnome swap a couple years ago. I had a pattern for the doll herself, but designed the dress and then had to figure out the hair. I made her for dd #2's 4th birthday last week. She loves fairies, likes dressing up as a fairy and dancing to "The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies." I thought for sure the doll would be a home run. Well... dd didn't like her at all at first. She's slowly warming up to her. She named the doll Falilla. She doesn't really play with the doll, but I do hear her softly talking to her while lying in bed, so maybe Falilla is more of a confidante than a plaything. That's ok. I tell more of the process of her creation on my blog. ( http://2frogsngrasshopper.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/finished-fairy-doll-part-1/ )

Falilla the Fairy

As my daughter was going to bed that night, still somewhat suspicious of the doll, she asked me what kind of fairy it is. "Um... a dewdrop fairy." "What's a dewdrop?" Short explanation of dew followed by quiet contemplation by the 4 yr old. I asked if dd wanted to sleep with her in the bed, and she said, "No, she can stay over there." On the desk.

The next morning, dd came downstairs with Falilla and in a skeptical tone, asked, "How did you get this hair?" I realized then that the hair creeped her out. Dd thought it was actual human hair! Can't blame the poor kid; I would have been freaked out, too, if someone gave me a doll with people hair. I took her upstairs to my sewing room and showed her the Sinead O'Connor Barbie who had donated her hair. That seemed to make her feel better. She also asked that I put the hair in a ponytail so she could see the wings better.

I used some metallic polyester something or other from the remnant bin. It's stiff enough on its own that I didn't have to add anything to it to keep the wings standing up.

Leaf-inspired dress. I liked the shimmery fabric (also found in the remnant bin). A fairy should look ethereal.

I was going to make another fairy for dd#1's birthday next month, but she has request a cowgirl doll, which is her current obsession. It was a lot easier to make a fairy dress than it's going to be to make a tiny Western shirt.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011 03:19:38 PM »

Pretty fairy. Smiley

Neat idea with the polyester wings too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
AMIFRIENDS

I LOVE MONKEYS!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011 09:54:15 PM »

shes sooo cute!!! i love the eyes =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I DON,T NEED TO GET ORGANIZED. I JUST NEED A BIGGER CRAFT ROOM =)

Im up for personal swaps...

My wists:
http://www.wists.com/AMIFRIENDS

my pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/amifriends/
grenouille78
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011 11:24:55 AM »

Thank you, both! I'm kind of a novice embroiderer, so I'm glad the eyes turned out like they did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vixen72
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011 01:02:11 PM »

Really cute..My dd and I love fairies also..Glad dd is warming up to her..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring Floral Nail Art Tutorial
Spring Beauty Refreshers
Birchbox April 2014: Sneak Peek
Two Teens With Life-Threatening Illnesses Become Models For A Day
Make-A-Wish: New York Model For A Day
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...