A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stained Glass Afghan *updated with deets on the fleece backing!*  (Read 61368 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jasminewolverine
Jack of all trades, master of none!

Extrapolate that!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 15, 2011 12:58:18 PM »

... or, the bane of my existence! I finally finished this a couple of months ago for my cousin's college graduation gift. It was almost 2 years in the making!

Obligatory, pseudo in-use fashion shot!

The whole shebang, on our queen-sized bed:

Close-up of the squares:

Aaaand the backing, a zebra-print polar fleece:

The pattern is the Stained Glass Window Afghan from the book Sensational Crochet Afghans and Throws (I purchased my copy on Amazon). I had to go down several hook sizes (I used a G hook instead of a K, as recommended in the pattern) to get my squares to look tidy. Since they were a tad smaller than indicated in the pattern, I made mine 5x6 squares large instead of 3x4. I followed the pattern exactly up to the beginning of the black border rounds; I noticed that my squares did not lay flat when I followed the pattern exactly and thought that the blanket would bunch oddly when seamed.

I used Caron Simply Soft in in Raspberry, Caron Simply Soft Brites in Limelight, Blue Mint, Mango, Lemonade, and Watermelon, and Caron Simply Soft Heathers in Charcoal Heather (about 11 skeins of the charcoal, about 1 skein each of the other colors).

The fleece backing!

A couple of craftsters asked about the backing, so here goes my attempt to explain how I attached  it. Please keep in mind that I'm not a sewer, so my verbage may not be correct... and please let me know if this needs clarifying!

1: I laid out the backing, right side down, and smoothed it out carefully so that the fabric was not stretching. I then laid out the afghan, right side up, and made sure that it also was not stretching. It's crucial to make sure that nothing is stretched, because it will cause it to bunch up once they're attached.

2. I cut the backing with a 1" seam allowance.

3. I started to affix the afghan to the backing from the center outwards. At each interior corner where motifs met, I used an 8ish-inch length of the Charcoal Heather yarn and a sharp tapestry needle to join the back to the afghan. I just went through both layers from the wrong side, then back down through both layers about 1/8 in apart. I imagine you could do this just about as frequent as you needed to, if you felt you needed more reinforcement, instead of just the corners of the motifs... but it is a good place to hide it on the afghan side... a lot of seaming going on in that area anyway! I just knotted my yarn on the wrong side and trimmed the ends to about 3in and called these good.

4. To secure the edges I also used the Charcoal Heater, and I just folded the fleecing edge to be in between layers and used a blanket stitch to hold it all together. I used this tutorial http://stitchschool.blogspot.com/2009/12/blanket-stitch.html.

Here is a diagram, if it helps at all! Cheesy

The backing makes the afghan much warmer and, in my opinion, gives it a little added durability. After all, I want it to last a long time without warping out of shape or coming apart!

Again, let me know if that info helps or needs revising!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011 01:00:06 PM by jasminewolverine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap for stuff for my lonely, empty walls!
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011 01:01:27 PM »

Just so elegant and beautiful! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noble_ammonite
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011 02:03:44 PM »

Wow! That looks awesome. I sometimes struggle to find crochet patterns I really like, but this one definitely fits the bill!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ffrogg526

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011 04:25:55 PM »

This afghan is GORGEOUS!  I have this pattern and I keep thinking I want to make the afghan.  I tried to start it and got as far as one center circle piece then couldn't figure it out after that.  I'll have to give it another try.  I love it!  Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011 05:20:12 PM »

I knew the minute I saw the subject that I was going to like whatever I saw - it's GORGEOUS!!  What a lot of work you must have put into it.  I've never seen an afghan backed with fleece before but it seems like a great idea.  I added this to my pinterest because it's so stunning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muise
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011 05:22:56 PM »

i love this afghan.  I have completed 1 and have been eyeing up colors for number 2.  I love the idea of backing it.  Can you go into alittle more detail on exactly how you did it?  Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calicotortoise
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011 05:25:38 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dead_Alice
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011 11:40:19 PM »

I've been thinking about making this for so long, ever since I bought the book. You did a really fabulous job, it's beautiful. I really love it and the fleece back looks really neat. You have inspired me to give this pattern a go
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susie in the sky
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011 02:02:18 AM »

That's so beautiful, well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
Maria Merlino

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011 05:24:18 AM »

Awesomely gorgeous! I have that book, too!
Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sexy Workout Gear That Celebrities Wear to Exercise
Dukes of Melrose Star Tips: How to Shop Vintage
Converse Releases Line Of Worn In Chuck Taylors
#Trends: Single Strap Stilettos
Vera Wang Charges Fee To Try On Bridal Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...