A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting with cotton  (Read 629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faux_Valentine
« on: September 15, 2011 11:21:00 AM »

I have decided to take on a big task and knit a sweater for someone for Christmas! Problem is he doesn't believe wool can be soft >< and unless i cut out my tongue and refuse to tell him its wool then he will refuse to wear it. So I've decided to knit his sweater using cotton. Does any one have some good recommendations about yarns ( sport weight) or any tips and tricks to knitting with cotton? it will be my first cotton item I've ever made so any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S He's a little OCD so im not sure how well shedding or fuzzies will go over with him, which is a concern with the yarn i was thinking of using.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011 12:05:17 AM »

The most awesome cotton-blend yarn I've ever crocheted with was Sirdar Spree, now discontinued. Soooooo soft! Sirdar does carry some cotton yarns in double-knit weight:

Simply Recycled DK
Calico DK
Luxury Soft Cotton DK

Aside from that, maybe invite your friend on a yarn shopping trip in combination with a bunch of other errands so it doesn't seem all gift-spicious. Go for yarn for a different project, and while you're there, OOOOH and AHHHH over some yummy wool blends. Be all like, "Ooooh, this is nice stuff, feel!" And then stick it in his hand. He won't know it's wool until he reads the label.

Also, here's a trick I learned somewhere on the internet: wash wool garments the first time with human-hair conditioner. IT WORKS! I did that to some nasty stored-in-gramma's-attic wool I got second-hand, and now it's a soft-as-baby-kittens scarf. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011 07:49:30 PM »

Use a cotton blend. Lion's Cottonease is very soft and it's much lighter weight than using all cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Sadie862
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011 10:32:02 AM »

I love knitting with cotton, it's my go to yarn but lately I've been drawn to bamboo, I find it doesn't get the same shedding or fuzzies that I somehow always seem to get with some cottons that I use.

My husband also has an thing with fabrics and has banned all wool from our house (sadness) - He likes the bamboo and always seems to be curled up with my blanket.

If you are really stuck on using wool knit up a couple of squares and try a few tricks to see if you can get it soft enough for him.

I've never tried the shampoo trick but I think I will. I really want a wool throw on the sofa!

Good luck!
Sarah Jane

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMouse
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011 07:58:15 AM »

The one thing I hate about knitting with cotton, and the reason I never use it, is that it doesn't have as much give as wool does. Wool has a bit of natural stretch, I find cotton doesn't have any.
Granted my experience knitting with cotton was mostly machine knitting which is torture anyway.
I love knitting with wool blends, I'm using a merino/silk blend now for a sweater and it's the softest thing I've ever felt.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faux_Valentine
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011 06:29:12 PM »

The one thing I hate about knitting with cotton, and the reason I never use it, is that it doesn't have as much give as wool does. Wool has a bit of natural stretch, I find cotton doesn't have any.
Granted my experience knitting with cotton was mostly machine knitting which is torture anyway.
I love knitting with wool blends, I'm using a merino/silk blend now for a sweater and it's the softest thing I've ever felt.
Good luck!

Yeah, im not a big fan of knitting with cotton for this reason either. I finally decided on knitting it with knit picks stroll its very soft and i think he'll love it ( besides its cheap 21ish balls for 70ish dollars) I'll post pictures this wensday when we have WIP wensdays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean Your DSLR Lens
Best Way to Photograph An Infant
Baby Photographer Anne Geddes "Little Blessings"
7 Tricks Everyone with a Camera Should Know
Basic SLR Set Up Tips for Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...