A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,441
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basement Finds  (Read 1009 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 13, 2011 02:54:23 PM »

I cleaned out a basement in a family owned house this past weekend. I don't have any pictures yet, but I do have a few things I had to grab due to the crafty potential they might have! So here's my list

A poker table. Obviously, I can paint it up and use it as a table, but does anyone have any suggestions of how to close up the holes (cup holder/chip compartment thingy)?

Some dominoes. I personally love the cedar box they are in more than the dominoes themselves, but there's gotta be a crafty solution for them.

One of those little organizer boxes with the little drawers filled with old washers, screws, electrical doo-hickeys. They are so cool!

An old gumball machine. It wouldn't be worth anything since the bottom plate (that catches the money) falls off. So I was thinking of putting stuff in it and displaying it, but I don't know what to do or what to put in it.

A 1940's Coca Cola cooler. I was thinking of keeping it as is (obviously) but putting piece of plywood on top and using it as a plant table.

I'll probably think of more things as I go through stuff, but this is for starters. Any ideas would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011 06:39:55 AM by lovelyxmalia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011 12:28:39 AM »

OK - poker table - maybe just put a piece of board underneath it and something to fill it with, otherwise, cut a piece of wood to fit each hole and fill and sand it to fit, then you can paint everything to match or cover it with something.

Dominoes - they could be used to make pendents - either screwing an eyescrew in, drilling a hole through to put wire throuugh, or gluing a bail onto the back - then you can decorate it how you wish - painting, decoupage, resin, etc.  What are the dominoes made of - you could use them to make frames with, candle holders, trivets/coasters

I love those organizer boxes - do you have a picture - what about painting or decoupaging to make it prettier than just functional

Gumball machine - can you turn it into a terrarium - that could be neat.

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011 12:01:52 PM »

You might want to try to sell the 1940's Coca-Coal cooler. Even if it's not in great shape. Don't repaint it-refinishing can lower the value. There are tons of people who collect Coke stuff. Look on Ebay just to get an idea what similar pieces have sold for. Maybe try an ad on Craiglist, that's free.You never know, and it's worth finding out before you repurpose it.
But very nifty finds! The box of electrical doo hickeys and washes, I would so make jewelry with them.
The dominos, yep, they can be the base of fabulous pendants.
As far as filling in the spaces on the poker table-how big is the table and where would you use it? As a kitchen table to eat on? Or would you use it to craft on? Set it in the living room?
If it was going to be in the craft area, I'd keep those spaces, and add pencil cup style containers, use them to hold paint brushes, knitting needles, colored pencils, ect.ect.
I think small flower pots in each space would look amazing! You could have herbs, cactus, african violets, whatever appeals.

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011 10:48:15 AM »

Poker table - expandable foam, sand and paint, THEN take the dominos and attach them to the top/sides/someplace that looks neat depending on how many you have.  Fancy table that retains it's "Game" feel.

I'm guessing you're looking for a use for the things inside the organizer.  Screws and washers can be welded together to make neat sculptures (My grampa did loads of little people and they are still all over my gramma's house even though he passed away nearly 13 years ago.)  You can also use them for what they are meant for, or embellish them and make neat pendants/jewelry. 

Gumball machine can be fixed, but I don't know how much it would cost.  For display things, my gramma has shells, sand, fake flowers, fish tank rocks, etc. that she uses to fill a few vases based on the time of year and any upcoming holidays. 

As for the Coke cooler... I'd probably sell it, but I'm sure there are all kinds of things you could do with it, I'm just not coming up with anything.

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011 03:39:30 PM »

gumball machine--I saw one partly filled with old marbles. It was lovely and a fun take on gum balls. I used to have a gumball machine and now I wish I had another to fill with marbles.

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tulle Skirt
Top 5 Holiday Designer Dresses You Can Rent
Save Vs. Spend: Holiday Edition
An Affordable, Complete Autumn Look
Playful Polish in a Giulietta Dress
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...