A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first tutorial: Jeans Shorts To Kids' Backpacks  (Read 2783 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tropic_Rose

Radical She-ite

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2011 10:32:44 AM »

I made backpacks from old pants, shorts and one shirt for the kids for Eid. I was sewing till the last minute so I only managed to round 6 of the 8 total for pictures after I gave them out.

Here's how I made the backpacks:

I cut a sheet of paper into the biggest circle I could and that determine the size of the packs. At the bottom I cut off a little bit to let them be able to stand up when finished. I used one size circle for the front and back and cut a pattern a bit smaller for the plastic canvas I used to hold the shape. I estimated the length of the sides and divided that in half to make the pattern piece to be cut on a fold. I determined the size needed for the base and made a slightly smaller piece for plastic canvas so I could assemble it without sewing on top of the canvas.

I cut one circle for the front along with a sort of half circle for a pocket, and two for the back, one for the outside back and another as a lining to encase the plastic canvas. I did two of the base as well one for the outside and one to line it.

The long strip for the sides was cut from sweatshirt. I originally planned to put a zipper on top, but ended up not having time for that. I used denim from jeans shorts and a cotton button down shirt for the other pieces on this backpack.

The straps were made from some ribbons that I guesstimated the length for. I would have made them from denim if I had more time. They weren't very substantial.

After I did a few this is the assembly method I settled on:

First, I topstitched to pocket to the front piece, reinforcing the corners.

I turned down the upper edge and stitched it down stopping about an inch away from the pocket on either side to leave an opening.

I took the two pieces for the base a sewed them to the bottom of the front. I sewed on the lining and outer piece to the other side of the base piece.

I sewed the side strip to the front piece, leaving a gap where I topstitched for the opening. I reinforced the sides so it wouldn't pull apart easily

I sandwiched the canvas between the lining and outside back, remembering to place the straps before pinning it to the side strip and sewing them together.

Then I flipped the whole thing right side out

and put it onto a cute model

And I was done!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011 11:55:42 AM by Tropic_Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to have crafted and failed then never to have crafted at all.
Yes, I am stalking the Toys and Playthings board. Thanks for noticing!
I'm cheating on Craftster with Pinterest. It's ok though. There's overlap.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NASA Comes to Airstream
Amy_Vignette
Airstream: Maintaining a Legacy in Jackson Center, Ohio
Making Narrow Quilt Borders
How to Make Rope Bangle Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...