A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bandanna hobo bag  (Read 1927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abbeyrd83
« on: September 12, 2011 04:33:00 PM »

i decided that labor day was going to be a 'craft for me' day since i never really get to make myself anything anymore. i found this pattern: http://destashification.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/boho-sling-bag-tutorial/, and i really wanted to try it, since i love hobo bags, but have never found one that was just right. of course, i had to try the patchwork one, and 6 hours later...

one bandanna hobo bag! it's so me, all colorful and loud. i think i would like to try the pattern again, but with solid fabric. maybe a beatles version, although i'm not sure if i have enough fabric.... that's the one downside- it took a LOT of fabric. the lining was a piece from my stash that was two yards, and now it's mostly gone. but it looks awesome!!! the hardest part was sewing in the bottom, which you have to do twice, once for the lining and once for the outside. i couldn't get it to fit right, even though the pattern said it would have to be trimmed, but i was still unsure and didn't want to cut it and end up taking off too much. so i just did the best i could, and it worked out.. mostly. and it needs some kind of fatstener, maybe some velcro, or maybe a snap. but if i could figure out how to get a zipper in there, even better.

and before i forget, the lining:

rainbow peace signs! oh, there is a pocket inside too. and you can see my white thread. i probably should have used black, but my machine was already threaded in white, so i chose the lazy way out.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011 04:59:42 PM »

I like the patchwork made of bandannas, it gives the bag a happy look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellybellygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011 07:14:21 PM »

so in love with this hobo bag! i made one a few years ago, but this is just way more awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

destashification
The Destashification Project

Stash Couture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011 08:23:57 AM »

LOVE your bag! 

The use of the bandanas was a great idea!  Your patchwork looks great!

I really like the handle and base fabric.  Was that a Stash find?

Always looking for feedback - do you have any suggestions for making the lining attachment simpler?  Did it just not seem to fit?  (The trimming should occur AFTER the stitching, so you were smart not to want to trim before stitching)  The clipping was the pre-stitching part...Please let me know how I could have made that less confusing..  Was it "clipping" verses "trimming"?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

abbeyrd83
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011 09:53:05 AM »

LOVE your bag! 

The use of the bandanas was a great idea!  Your patchwork looks great!

I really like the handle and base fabric.  Was that a Stash find?

Always looking for feedback - do you have any suggestions for making the lining attachment simpler?  Did it just not seem to fit?  (The trimming should occur AFTER the stitching, so you were smart not to want to trim before stitching)  The clipping was the pre-stitching part...Please let me know how I could have made that less confusing..  Was it "clipping" verses "trimming"?

thanks! the pattern really is super, and thanks so much for sharing it!!

i'd have to sit down, read the pattern again and think about it, but the bottom piece almost seemed too big, if that makes sense. i almost felt like it would be better if it was square/rectangular instead of rounded. the hardest part was getting the curves to line up. i ended up not trimming it at all because it seemed to fit after i sewed it.

i did use the pattern right off the website for the base, so there's a chance it may not have printed the right size. i drew up my own bag pattern, based on the measurements, so that may have been off as well. but it's a pattern i will definitely be making again!

(i'm still a newbie to sewing, so i'm sorry if this seems confusing!)

the handle and the base are also bandannas. i found them at walmart. i had had plain black ones to use, but i thought the black/multi would look better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mochawildchild
Francine - Mochawildchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011 09:55:15 AM »

Very cool -  I bought some batik bandanas on sale a few months ago - I think they'd make an awesome bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cured Mackerel Sushi
How to Make an Avocado Roll
How to Make Sushi Rolls with Cream Cheese
How to Make Hand Wrapped Cone Sushi Rolls
Tools You Need to Make Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...