A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
747 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rotary cutter not cutting. Is it me or did I just get a bad one?  (Read 1526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinksnail
« on: August 22, 2011 08:40:23 AM »

I am feeling like a total moron. I am usually a free-hand scissors kind of girl, but am in the need of straight lines lately.

Got myself a $24 rotary tool, on sale for $14. Got myself some super soft fleece - what can be easier to cut that that?

Cutting board, check. Steel ruler, check. Large flat surface, check.

Nice straight lines cut into my material? Uncheck!

It cut once, then nothing. Not even a crease in my material. The package says I should easily be able to cut through multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl. It won't cut through fleece! How is it going to cut through vinyl?? It won't even cut through paper! If I press really hard maybe it will cut paper, but by then it is too hard and the safety lock pops up.

I have the "classic loop" style from Fiskars. Maybe I just need one of the more simpler styles. *shrug*

Hoping for either advice on how to use this thing - maybe there is a certain way to hold it (There are no directions on the package), or someone just confirming that maybe the blade could be bad even though it is a brand new tool.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
katpac
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011 07:54:06 PM »

It seems kind of duh but did you make sure there's no safety tape on the blade?  Last time I bought an exacto knife I cursed at it for a full ten minutes before I realized there was a thin tape over the blade.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinksnail
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011 09:22:20 PM »

I have done that with exato knives before. LOL. But nope, there is no tape. I ran my finger across the blade a few times to see if that "cleaned" it or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ravyk
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011 08:11:31 AM »

Does it cut other materials?

I'd take it back and get a refund.  Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011 05:01:39 PM »

May be a stupid question, but did you cut on a cutting board or did you use a rotary cutting mat?  If you did not use the rotary cutting mat, you dulled the blade on the board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011 08:55:42 PM »

I realize this thread is old, but it hasn't been mentioned yet: is the safety off? I didn't realize my rotary cutter had a safety, and struggled to get it to cut anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuthieG101
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011 08:22:58 AM »

May be a stupid question, but did you cut on a cutting board or did you use a rotary cutting mat?  If you did not use the rotary cutting mat, you dulled the blade on the board.

I agree with this post. I brought a rotaty cutter and what I was told was a self-healing cutting mat. It wasn't and dulled my blade within minutes. I had to get a new board and blade. (I did get a refund on the board).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinksnail
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011 08:33:09 PM »

So... according to this post and the one below it, I should NOT use a self healing board??? That is what I used!

But years ago I made a fleece blanket and I swear I used a self healing board!

But, not matter, if I need a rotary mat, then that is what I will get. I assume it is called "rotary"? I usually only notice the self healing mats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RuthieG101
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011 02:31:27 PM »

The rotary cutting mats are self healing, and if you already have one then it is probably a bad blade. Either buy a new blade, or get it exchanged under the warranty. I have an Olfa blade (in an unbranded handle), and I have had no problems with it.
Sorry if I confused you in my last post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fit Your Image Size to Your Print Size
How to Draw Eriko from Dragon Crisis
How to Make Great Selections in Photoshop Elements 11
How to Draw Disco Bear from Happy Tree Friends
How to Draw Diego from Dora the Explorer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...