In the past couple of weeks I finished several quillows for wedding and anniversary gifts. I cheat and use store-bought microfiber blankets instead of making a throw quilt, I just concentrate on making the quilted pockets but people seem to love them all the same. I just mailed some off and I have three more to finish for other people but until then I thought I would post some pics--I don't think the recipients are in danger of seeing the pictures here.
My friend and colleague, Whit, got married over Memorial Day weekend. She studies some adorable little turtles so of course I had to quilt her a set of turtles.
That is the first quillow I made. I made my own turtle pattern and pieced them together. I zig-zagged them down to the pieced foundation and top-stitched the pattern of the shell. I embroidered the eyes and nostrils using black embroidery floss. I outline quilted each turtle and the squares.
This is the backing I used for each quillow I made her.
This is the second quillow I made Whit. On this one I also outline quilted some of the animal designs in the other squares to give it more texture. In the background you can see the blue storage sack I made her to keep the pair in. It's basically a glorified pillowcase but I think it will come in handy for her.
Some turtle close-ups. :-)
Two of my friends eloped to New York, New York last year. For the wedding/one-year anniversary I made them a New York, New York quillow. It took me forever to choose the fabrics but I had fun making it.
Here is the quillow. I love how the couple in the center look reminiscent of my friends. The groom is tall, dark, and handsome and the bride actually got married in a black evening gown that was similar to the lady in the fabric--very old Hollywood and classic.
That's the backing I used. They both love old Hollywood and movies in general so this was perfect.
I had the "brilliant" idea of using all the other NY/movie fabrics I had to do fun applique shapes on the blanket side of the purple throw I bought them. This was a bad idea. I used glow-in-the-dark thread. This was an even worse idea. The thread raveled and kept snapping, the shapes moved and bunched so they don't look as polished as I wanted and overall I'm not sure I like the effect. Maybe that is just the effect of the cursing though...I lost patience with the glow thread and switched to nice rational white on the last three flowers.
I put a yo-yo in the center of each flower to make them look more like a flower and less like an irregular blob. The groom loves the Beetles so I thought the flowers would be cute. Lots of swearing involved but I think they look okay.
Finally, this is a quillow I made last year for my father-in-law for Father's Day and I finally got around to taking a picture of it.
He is a very enthusiastic fisherman. This was my first foray into outline quilting with the center fish. I think it turned out pretty sharp. The back of the quillow pocket is that blue fishing lure fabric that borders the fish.
I hope you enjoyed the quillows!