A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celtic Knotwork Vase-first time using glass etching cream-lotsa pictures  (Read 1632 times)
Tags for this thread: glass_etching  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celticchrys
« on: September 12, 2011 08:06:35 AM »

I was inspired by Oxynox's technique in this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=211082.0 to try using glass etching cream for the first time.  I made some mistakes, but over all, I like it, and I think with a little more care and practice, results could be very nice.

I chose this very plain glass cylindrical vase that came with a flower arrangement to experiment on, because I didn't like it. I thought that if I ruined it, it would be a small loss.

Step 1: I put the paper with the design printed on it inside the vase, and traced the design with black puffy fabric paint.

I traced the same knot onto both sides of the base of the vase:

Step 2: Assemble gear, including gloves and a sponge to apply the etching cream:

Step 3: Apply etching cream:

You can see here that I didn't do the neatest job, and went outside the lines in a few places. I ended up switching to using Q-Tips for application, which was easier to control.

The instructions on the jar say to leave for 1 minute. I left the cream on for 6 minutes, and rinsed it off, and there were still little bitty clear patches inside my design. I reapplied for 6 more minutes to get full frosting. So this took around 12 times longer than the instructions on the jar suggested. I suppose this must be affected by the formulation of the glass in your object.

I washed off the cream again, and then ran hot water over the fabric paint for a minute, which makes it peel off very easily.

The Finished product!

A photo in the sunlight with some hastily picked wildflowers:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011 01:25:19 PM by celticchrys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
edenkitty
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011 12:29:18 PM »

I've always gone with the ten minute rule with the pieces I've etched and had a lot of success with them. I do tend to forget though and it usually ends up being closer to 30....

I love to etch when the laundry is going, then I always remember them when it's time to switch loads!

The Fabric Paint idea is really cool! I get so tired of cutting stencils and using sharpie here and there, I'll have to give that a try the next time I get the hankering do do some etching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MorganMay

nephew and his Dragonheart that I made for him!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011 01:48:47 PM »

Cool project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginerbean
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011 06:54:30 PM »

awww that's so beautiful! and mistakes are okay! practice makes perfect -- just means you have lots more things to prettify!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In which I do it my own damn self (DIMODS?): http://ellipsus.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 28/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 29/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 23/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 24/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 22/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...