A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celtic Knotwork Vase-first time using glass etching cream-lotsa pictures  (Read 2181 times)
Tags for this thread: glass_etching  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celticchrys
« on: September 12, 2011 08:06:35 AM »

I was inspired by Oxynox's technique in this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=211082.0 to try using glass etching cream for the first time.  I made some mistakes, but over all, I like it, and I think with a little more care and practice, results could be very nice.

I chose this very plain glass cylindrical vase that came with a flower arrangement to experiment on, because I didn't like it. I thought that if I ruined it, it would be a small loss.

Step 1: I put the paper with the design printed on it inside the vase, and traced the design with black puffy fabric paint.

I traced the same knot onto both sides of the base of the vase:

Step 2: Assemble gear, including gloves and a sponge to apply the etching cream:

Step 3: Apply etching cream:

You can see here that I didn't do the neatest job, and went outside the lines in a few places. I ended up switching to using Q-Tips for application, which was easier to control.

The instructions on the jar say to leave for 1 minute. I left the cream on for 6 minutes, and rinsed it off, and there were still little bitty clear patches inside my design. I reapplied for 6 more minutes to get full frosting. So this took around 12 times longer than the instructions on the jar suggested. I suppose this must be affected by the formulation of the glass in your object.

I washed off the cream again, and then ran hot water over the fabric paint for a minute, which makes it peel off very easily.

The Finished product!

A photo in the sunlight with some hastily picked wildflowers:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011 01:25:19 PM by celticchrys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
edenkitty
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011 12:29:18 PM »

I've always gone with the ten minute rule with the pieces I've etched and had a lot of success with them. I do tend to forget though and it usually ends up being closer to 30....

I love to etch when the laundry is going, then I always remember them when it's time to switch loads!

The Fabric Paint idea is really cool! I get so tired of cutting stencils and using sharpie here and there, I'll have to give that a try the next time I get the hankering do do some etching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MorganMay

nephew and his Dragonheart that I made for him!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011 01:48:47 PM »

Cool project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginerbean
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011 06:54:30 PM »

awww that's so beautiful! and mistakes are okay! practice makes perfect -- just means you have lots more things to prettify!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In which I do it my own damn self (DIMODS?): http://ellipsus.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Cell Phone Protector
How to Crochet an iPhone Purse
How to Use Voile in Sewing Projects
Preparing and Marking Fabric for Sewing Projects
Pinning Fabric for Sewing Projects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...