A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips on resizing this apron for plus size?  (Read 1017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tivaclare
« on: September 11, 2011 05:35:33 PM »

I would like to make this apron as a wedding gift for DHs cousin.  Before anyone scolds me on the no-no message that giving a bride an apron sends, trust me, she'll LOVE it. She is begging everyone for baking stuff, recipes, etc, as she has recently discovered cooking.  I've gotten some eyebrows acting like I'm trying to throw women back to the 50's housewife era... Undecided I'm not, promise! I just want to surprise the bride with a super duper apron! I'm also going to make one for the groom in a manlier fashion.

Both are nerdy, so I'm theming them for Star Wars. Grin

Anyhoo, for the bride I would like to use this pattern: http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/Blog/Classic_Apron.pdf

Can anyone give me tips for how to size it? I am a novice at sewing, but think I can manage this. I am a 10/12 myself, so I'm not sure if I can measure it for me and wing it.  I haven't seen the bride in a number of years, but she is a bit curvier than me.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this and the size in the pattern would be ok for her? I just don't want to make it awkward and get the size too small/big.

I'm starting to freak out, can you tell? The wedding is in October!!

Attached a photo of the bride.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011 05:37:14 PM by tivaclare » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JHall
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011 08:17:07 AM »

Hello! I looked over the measurements on the pattern, and I definitely think you would need to upsize it.  For example, I'm a comfortable size 16 and the top measurement for the apron before seams is 11 inches. That definitely wouldn't give ample apron coverage to my chest. If you add a just two or three inches to the width of the pattern that would guarantee it would be big enough to cover what an apron should cover. You could do that by making the pattern piece they show in the instructions and then adding an inch to the side that goes on the fold. If it's slightly too big, that will just be extra coverage, but if it's too small that will look awkward.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tivaclare
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011 10:02:25 AM »

Thank you very, very much! I've never had to alter a pattern before, let alone for someone I can't measure!  Wink

I know she's going to love it and I'm sacrificing some vintage Star Wars sheets from my stash, so I want it to be well loved and used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...