A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wallpapering (crappy) Ikea furniture  (Read 4324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Barbieeee
« on: September 10, 2011 07:53:07 PM »

So, when my boyfriend and I moved in together (two years ago) we decided to keep his bedroom furniture, because I was moving right out of my parents house and had the same (very childlike looking) set I had owned since I was about seven. Anyway, this furniture is from Ikea, and while it's held up nicely, it is just very far from my personal aesthetic and I've grown tired of staring at it. We can't really afford all new furniture, so I'm thinking of ways to make it a little better. I'm basically planning on wallpapering the drawer fronts and the tops, and adding knobs.

The problem I'm having (besides never having wallpapered anything) is that the dresser and matching nightstands are basically particleboard covered with whatever that plasticy stuff that makes it smooth and shiny. Will wallpaper stick to a surface like this? Do any of you have any handy wallpapering furniture tips?

This is what the dresser looks like, and the night stands look exactly like a tiny version of it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/malm--drawer-chest__0132189_PE286969_S4.JPG

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011 01:38:15 PM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011 09:22:35 AM »

I actually wallpapered my closets two years ago (They were really plain, like your furniture. No embellishments or anything on the "wood"). So this definitely works.

BUT: It won't hold up at all if you only cover the fronts, I think you will need to wrap the paper around the pieces of wood. I used lots of tape to secure everything, but my closets even survived two moves without significant damage.

Back then i used torn newspaper and covered everything in 4 or 5 layers, this should be really close to "real" wallpaper. I also lightly sanded everything with
If you choose to do it this way, you will still be able to remove everything easily when you want to change again.

If you use real wallpaper, maybe it would be faster to use strong double-sided adhesive tape. Like long strips along the edge of the drawer fronts. As long as you take care to avoid wrinkles or the like, it should go very fast.
This would be harder to remove than wallpaper paste, but will still work great as long as the paper used is thick enough. Also, you wouldn't have to secure the paper on the backside of the pieces.

I hope this helps.
good luck with your project!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011 05:40:56 AM »

I have a particle board desk with laminate (that's the shiny, plasticy covering), I covered the top and back of mine with shelf liner (partially to protect it, partially because it is an ugly light wood grain colour that makes me want to vomit)... It stuck perfectly fine, however it completely ripped off the laminate when I removed it.. derrrrr.  So now, you can see the extra beautiful particle board under neath.

Obviously, you are looking to do a more permanent change to your furniture.  I think that wall paper would work fine (I've definitely seen that dresser DIYed all over the internet, with fabric fronts, wall paper, paint, and more).  If you're worried about wrapping the drawers, you could always just wall paper the front of them, since the design would make that really easy.  You might even be able to trim the edges of the wall paper after you glue it down, so that it is all lined up well and what not.  (But I have to say that I have only wall papered once in my entire life, it was when I was seven, in my parent's old farm house, and I'm pretty sure I put it up all kinds of uneven).

Good luck though! I wish I had some furniture that was a bit easier to paint and re-do (well without me feeling bad for doing it anyways, sometimes I hate having old solid wood furniture that has been in my family for 60 years..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011 08:05:30 PM »

I was just considering either painting or wallpapering my old Ikea bookshelves.  If I went with the wallpaper version, I was planning to lightly sand first, then using a really good wallpaper paste.  It will be a while before the job gets done as we are still picking out a new wall color, but I will be sure to post when I'm done.
Good luck with your makeover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheddar Apple Crisp Recipe
After Easter Cheddar Ham Casserole Recipe
Sweet Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders Recipe
Updated Homestyle Dumplings Recipe
Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...