A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Sunbutter  (Read 4212 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 10, 2011 12:41:33 PM »

I've never had the store-made stuff, but I had a huge bag of plain, shelled sunflower seeds to use up (and I'm not a huge fan of them). In 20 minutes and for under $3.00, I was able to make 2 1/2 jars and this stuff is absolutely delicious! So, I thought I'd share with you guys. This is especially interesting for those with nut allergies. It looks like a lot of work, but that's just because I've been very voluble in my explanations.

If you have a food processor, this process will be a lot easier and you can make it all in one batch. However, all I have is a picky Magic Bullet - never fear though, I have a couple tricks that work great!

Use can use whatever oil you choose. The amount will depend on whether your oil firms up when cooled (ex. coconut, olive) or not and how thick you want your spread to be. I used about 2/3 hemp oil, and 1/3 coconut oil (when unrefined it's actually good for you). All amounts are approximate.

Here's what you'll need:
  • Food processor or blender (with the curved blade attachement, not the flat)
  • 4 cups of sunflower seeds
  • Sweetener (I used powdered stevia, 1 packet)
  • Salt
  • 3-5 tbsp Oil
  • Cookie sheet
  • An oven
  • Jars or containers
  • Spatula (to scrape down the sides)

Instructions:

First, you'll want to toast your sunflower seeds. Start by spreading your seeds on the cookie sheet. I used my toaster oven with I set to the highest temperature on the 'toast' setting. And roasted, 2 cups at a time, for six minutes each. If using a regular oven, you can put all your seeds at once on a larger sheet and set the oven on 'broil'. You'll want to watch the seeds closely to make sure they don't burn. They need to start browning but not completely as they with be too dry.

In my Magic Bullet, I made this in two batches, you'll want to do the same with a blender. For a food processor, it all depends on the size of your recipient. Add the seeds while they are still hot (this will keep your oils more liquid and facilitate processing), and 3-4 tbsp of oil, whatever is needed to make a nice liquid consistency. So, start the blending process. It will be a little more difficult at first, listen to your appliance, it will tell you when it needs to be stirred. When necessary, scrape the sides down. For the Magic Bullet, they recommend to not run the motor for more than 1 minute at a time, so I stopped and stirred every minute. It takes about 2-3 minutes to start blending smoothly. At this point, you'll want to continue blending another 2-3 minutes until nice and smooth. There shouldn't really be any need to hand stir at this point, though running a spoon through once in a while to remove any air bubbles can help. At this point, your sunbutter should have the consistency of pancake batter.

Transfer most of your butter to a bowl of cup, leaving a little at the bottom. Roast the remainder of your seeds and place in your blender (while hot). Pour the prepared butter over top and wiggle the recipient a little to make it go down. For this batch, your prepared sunbutter will do what the oil did in the previous batch: facilitate the processing. Proceed as before, blending and stirring. Add more oil if necessary. Season with salt and sugar to taste. Keep on blending until it is once again nice and smooth. It should now have the consistency of cake batter.

Pour into your jars and allow to cool at room temperature before placing the lid and refrigerating or freezing. Your sunbutter will firm up as it cools, how much depends on the type of oil you used (I found mine was the perfect consistency with about 3 tbsp liquid oil and 2 tbsp solid). Voil, you're done! Spread on some toast or sandwich, use in your baking or smoothies, as a dip for fruit or veggies, or just eat by the spoonful.

I hope this has been helpful for someone. Let me know what you think if you do try this out!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012 06:16:43 AM by TroubleT - Reason: adding pic to Featured Posts 2011 :D » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011 12:53:22 PM »

Oohh awesome! I've always wanted to try making my own type of nut butter. We go through peanut butter here like crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011 01:30:00 PM »

YUM! I'll have to give this a try Geniale!

Thank you for sharing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ginerbean
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011 09:15:52 PM »

THIS LOOKS SO AMAZING! i guess i will have to go buy some sunflower seeds to use up :] one question... about how sweet it is! i have very picky peanut butter taste haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In which I do it my own damn self (DIMODS?): http://ellipsus.blogspot.com/
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011 12:10:15 PM »

THIS LOOKS SO AMAZING! i guess i will have to go buy some sunflower seeds to use up :] one question... about how sweet it is! i have very picky peanut butter taste haha

With the one packet of stevia, I'd say its just a little less sweet than the classic Kraft Peanut Butter (but I haven't bought the stuff it years, I usually get the natural-style pb). The great thing about making your own though is that you can add as much or as little sugar as you like! The flavour might vary if you use sweeteners that taste very strong, like honey, pure maple syrup, or molasses as opposed to something more neutral. The stevia has a slight bitterness to it but you don't taste it at all in this recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
Ginerbean
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011 02:40:29 PM »

sounds awesome! thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In which I do it my own damn self (DIMODS?): http://ellipsus.blogspot.com/
imrahil
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011 03:10:50 PM »

Great idea! I'm going to try this. I know homemade hazelnut butter tastes great and I do like sunflower seeds so I think I will like this, possibly with some sesame seeds in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imrahil
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011 12:39:51 AM »

I tried your recipe, and it was delicious! I've had it on homemade crisp bread and on regular bread. It tastes very good with a slice of apple on top of it! I did add sesame seeds. Off to make another batch of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MollyGirl
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011 07:10:27 AM »

Sunbutter is wonderful!!  I developed a peanut allergy a few years back and missed peanut butter and jelly mostest of all!  I found Sunbutter and I love it!!  It tastes almost like peanut butter, only I think better!  Its lighter and the taste blends really well with whatever you are eating it with.  The store I found it in has discontinued it so I am so glad you shared this tute!!! Thanks!  I can eat my sunbutter and jelly sandwiches again!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011 08:26:50 AM »

I'm really glad you enjoyed it Grin Adding sesame seeds is a great idea!

And @MollyGirl, I'm happy that you'll be able to have your sunbutter again Smiley
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011 08:27:31 AM by Geniale » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brunch for a Bunch with Chef Cat De Orio
Charcoal Grill Barbecue Demo
Red, White, and Blue Dog by Chef Cat De Orio
Potato Salad with Hot Smoked Sausage by Chef Jill
New York Style Dog by Chef Jill Houk
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...