A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: flamenco skirt (tutorial)  (Read 170011 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bellydance , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sandiva
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2007 12:07:27 AM »

I followed your instructions to make a flamenco skirt for my daughter when she first started dancing so I wouldn't have to buy her one of those very expensive icky polyester ones. I think it came out really well. After a month or so, I added the second ruffle. I made the ruffle the same way as the bottom ruffle, then sewed the two layers together along the top edges. I opened it up, pressed the seam flat and pinned it to the skirt where I wanted it (with the raw edges facing up) and stitched in the ditch. It worked out really well. With all the hemming I'd say I've got over 8 hours invested in this skirt. But it is beautiful and it looks great when she dances. Thanks so much for the great pattern! This is my first post so I can't send pictures yet. Here are the links:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=76032
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=76031
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyaviatejed
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2007 07:38:44 PM »

Hmm... A couple days ago I came upon this thread and thought "OH MY GOD. That's so pretty, I have to make myself one of those!!"
So today I was looking at it again and decided now was the time to try, except I only wanted it about knee length.

So... can someone explain to me how my short flamenco skirt ended up looking like a lolita skirt?
I mean, I personally love it... but it certainly changed quite a bit.
If anyone's still here and would like to see exactly how my, uh, "flamenco skirt turned lolita skirt thing" turned out, I can take some pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
holliejoy
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2007 08:30:21 PM »

If anyone's still here and would like to see exactly how my, uh, "flamenco skirt turned lolita skirt thing" turned out, I can take some pictures.

i would love to see pictures! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyaviatejed
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2007 09:11:36 PM »

Haha, alright, I'll take some pictures tomorrow when it's light out.
It really doesn't look very flamenco-ey at all though, I'm not sure how it happened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyaviatejed
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2007 06:54:53 AM »

Here we go!

Picture 1
Picture 2, sans petticoat. (sorry it's so fuzzy...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GinetteWK
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2009 10:40:44 AM »

So inspired by this thread - thanks for all of the great info and photos!

I was looking for patterns but now see I can kind of wing it. Having a Flamenco/Spanish-themed birthday party so I think I should try to make a skirt. Digging the polka dots. I'm a novice sewer but I might give this a try anyway. (If it's a bit funky it might look rustic, well, that's the hope anyway.)

I might try to make mine with one piece sewed up a bit (as if someone was holding the skirt up a bit) so you can see my shoes. Assuming I find cool shoes to wear. ; )

Wish me luck!

G
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get confident, fit, and bring your best vision of you to life! : ) http://www.confident-vision-living.com/
Dream0908
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2009 06:07:16 PM »

loved the skirt. Great job.  I am making my first flamenco skirt, came across ur posting. What kind of fabric do u use? How much fabric do I buy for a full skirt?I am 5 ft 6 inches tall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glass Fire
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2009 08:41:55 PM »

That's so cute! I love the fabric choice. I might try making a short one of these. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[Blog: Rated T for True Life] An insight into the lives of teenagers.
Kittenpants
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2009 11:37:00 AM »

Beautiful skirt, fabulous tutorial!

My bellydance style uses flamenco-style skirts, so I hope you don't mind that I'm throwing the "bellydance" tag on here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not an addict.  I could quit crafting anytime I want.  *twitch*
dancin momma
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2009 08:56:01 PM »

Thanks for posting your skirt tutorial.  It was very inspiring!  I've made several skirts--in fact I learned how to sew because I needed a practice skirt and I couldn't find one I could afford.  So I bought a used one from my teacher, I took it apart, copied the pattern and bought a cheap sewing machine.  I constructed my own skirt with the sewing machine manual in one hand and the fabric in the other.  What an adventure!   That was 15 years ago. 
I quit dancing for many years and recently started again and guess what, I need a new skirt!!!!  It's hard to find patterns so I'm back to designing my own.
Here's a tip for you flamencas out there:  troll the thrift stores.  YOu'd be surprised what treasures you can unearth at the Goodwill.  One of my friends does this on a regular basis and I have charged her with immediately purchasing ANY flamenco skirt she happens to find, regardless of the size.
Lo and behold, she found one a few weeks ago and paid a whopping $4.00 for it.  It's lovely:  crushed velvet in a dusty purple with two rows of polka dot ruffles.  Only problem, it's tiny.  Would fit a 14 year old beautifully. 
My plan is to separate the bottom of the skirt (the ruffles) from the top, which is a simple 7 panel skirt.  I can just tweak the pattern so it's wide enough and long enough and then attach the existing ruffle to the bottom of the new skirt.  It's a little cheat, but should work well.  Now the next challenge is to master the serger so I can create a more professional looking finished product.  OLE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cranberry-Apple Biscuit Pies Recipe
How to Make Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
Carrot Cake Cookie Recipe
Surprising Facts About Girl Scout Cookies
How to Make Double Chocolate Brownies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...