A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,594
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: flamenco skirt (tutorial)  (Read 166930 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bellydance , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sandiva
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2007 12:07:27 AM »

I followed your instructions to make a flamenco skirt for my daughter when she first started dancing so I wouldn't have to buy her one of those very expensive icky polyester ones. I think it came out really well. After a month or so, I added the second ruffle. I made the ruffle the same way as the bottom ruffle, then sewed the two layers together along the top edges. I opened it up, pressed the seam flat and pinned it to the skirt where I wanted it (with the raw edges facing up) and stitched in the ditch. It worked out really well. With all the hemming I'd say I've got over 8 hours invested in this skirt. But it is beautiful and it looks great when she dances. Thanks so much for the great pattern! This is my first post so I can't send pictures yet. Here are the links:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=76032
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=76031
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyaviatejed
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2007 07:38:44 PM »

Hmm... A couple days ago I came upon this thread and thought "OH MY GOD. That's so pretty, I have to make myself one of those!!"
So today I was looking at it again and decided now was the time to try, except I only wanted it about knee length.

So... can someone explain to me how my short flamenco skirt ended up looking like a lolita skirt?
I mean, I personally love it... but it certainly changed quite a bit.
If anyone's still here and would like to see exactly how my, uh, "flamenco skirt turned lolita skirt thing" turned out, I can take some pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
holliejoy
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2007 08:30:21 PM »

If anyone's still here and would like to see exactly how my, uh, "flamenco skirt turned lolita skirt thing" turned out, I can take some pictures.

i would love to see pictures! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyaviatejed
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2007 09:11:36 PM »

Haha, alright, I'll take some pictures tomorrow when it's light out.
It really doesn't look very flamenco-ey at all though, I'm not sure how it happened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyaviatejed
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2007 06:54:53 AM »

Here we go!

Picture 1
Picture 2, sans petticoat. (sorry it's so fuzzy...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GinetteWK
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2009 10:40:44 AM »

So inspired by this thread - thanks for all of the great info and photos!

I was looking for patterns but now see I can kind of wing it. Having a Flamenco/Spanish-themed birthday party so I think I should try to make a skirt. Digging the polka dots. I'm a novice sewer but I might give this a try anyway. (If it's a bit funky it might look rustic, well, that's the hope anyway.)

I might try to make mine with one piece sewed up a bit (as if someone was holding the skirt up a bit) so you can see my shoes. Assuming I find cool shoes to wear. ; )

Wish me luck!

G
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get confident, fit, and bring your best vision of you to life! : ) http://www.confident-vision-living.com/
Dream0908
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2009 06:07:16 PM »

loved the skirt. Great job.  I am making my first flamenco skirt, came across ur posting. What kind of fabric do u use? How much fabric do I buy for a full skirt?I am 5 ft 6 inches tall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glass Fire
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2009 08:41:55 PM »

That's so cute! I love the fabric choice. I might try making a short one of these. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[Blog: Rated T for True Life] An insight into the lives of teenagers.
Kittenpants
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2009 11:37:00 AM »

Beautiful skirt, fabulous tutorial!

My bellydance style uses flamenco-style skirts, so I hope you don't mind that I'm throwing the "bellydance" tag on here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not an addict.  I could quit crafting anytime I want.  *twitch*
dancin momma
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2009 08:56:01 PM »

Thanks for posting your skirt tutorial.  It was very inspiring!  I've made several skirts--in fact I learned how to sew because I needed a practice skirt and I couldn't find one I could afford.  So I bought a used one from my teacher, I took it apart, copied the pattern and bought a cheap sewing machine.  I constructed my own skirt with the sewing machine manual in one hand and the fabric in the other.  What an adventure!   That was 15 years ago. 
I quit dancing for many years and recently started again and guess what, I need a new skirt!!!!  It's hard to find patterns so I'm back to designing my own.
Here's a tip for you flamencas out there:  troll the thrift stores.  YOu'd be surprised what treasures you can unearth at the Goodwill.  One of my friends does this on a regular basis and I have charged her with immediately purchasing ANY flamenco skirt she happens to find, regardless of the size.
Lo and behold, she found one a few weeks ago and paid a whopping $4.00 for it.  It's lovely:  crushed velvet in a dusty purple with two rows of polka dot ruffles.  Only problem, it's tiny.  Would fit a 14 year old beautifully. 
My plan is to separate the bottom of the skirt (the ruffles) from the top, which is a simple 7 panel skirt.  I can just tweak the pattern so it's wide enough and long enough and then attach the existing ruffle to the bottom of the new skirt.  It's a little cheat, but should work well.  Now the next challenge is to master the serger so I can create a more professional looking finished product.  OLE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Crazy Hairstyle
How to Get Disco Hair
How to Create Long Layered Hairstyles
How to Do Fancy Hairstyles
How to Do Red Carpet Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...