A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to re-set a yoke/waistband?  (Read 486 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2011 02:51:40 PM »

I was out thrifting today and lucked into a fabulous wool skirt. Brown and teal plaid, lined, it fits perfectly, except for one small problem...I'm short, it's not. It's ankle length, and ideally I'd like it to be more like just below the knee.

Normally I'd just cut it down and re-hem it, but it's got these really cool boxed kick pleats that I'd like to keep. So now I'm thinking about moving the waist down, instead. The front is a V shaped yoke, with about 3" of elastic on each side, followed by a narrow flat waistband going around to the back, where it buttons over an invisible zipper.

How exactly do I do this? This is what I'm thinking is involved, but if I'm going badly astray, please let me know.

1. Carefully pick entire waistband/yoke from skirt.
2. Figure out how long I want the final skirt to be, and cut down the waist, remembering to add seam allowance and  subtract the yoke.
3. Reattach yoke/waist to skirt. (Like a quilt binding, I assume-one side gets machine sewn, the other side hand sewn.)
4. Carefully split the back seam, and reinsert the invisible zipper. Hand sew the lining to the zipper.
Alternatively, 5. Find a tailor and let them do it.

I'm a fairly competent seamstress, but this is pushing the edge of my abilities. I can make clothes, but aftermarket tailoring is something new.

Am I missing any major steps? Making a mountain out of a molehill? Would it be easier to reset the pleats? Any advice? I'd really like to expand my skills, and a fabulous but inexpensive skirt seems like the thing to try it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
klnelson11
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011 05:27:03 PM »

it sound like you've got a plan!  alternately, you could topstitch the yoke and thus eliminate the handsewing.  i hate hand stitching, so i got good at the topstitch.  good luck!  post a pic when you're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011 03:29:30 PM »

I think you're on the right track! It sounds like you have it all itemized and ready to rock Cheesy

I, too, would love to see the before and after photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011 12:03:13 PM »

I agree, it sounds like you've got it in hand!  The only thing I would say is you may want to plan on using a new invisible zipper, it'll just depend on the condition of the old one when you get it out.  Good luck!  Oh, you may also need to add some shaping around the hips, if it's a straight skirt, it may have some darts or shaping in the existing side seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Bangs
How to Strip Hair Color
How to Straighten Your Hair with a Straightening Iron
Hair Scrunching Tips
How to Bleach Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...