A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fried Rice w/ Peanut Butter Sauce (Super cheap meal)  (Read 2584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

+1SporkofDoom
« on: September 09, 2011 02:50:50 PM »

FIRST POST YEAH!

I was babysitting at my sister's house for the second time this week, and she hadn't gone to the grocery store. I don't do Speghetti O's more than once a month >.>

So, I made a concoction out of whatever was in her pantry! Which wasn't much. She's lived there less than a week.

To start with, she bought 15lb of white rice, but has no rice cooker and no pot. I luckily had my rice cooker in the car, and so got 3 cups of rice started! Then I threw some peanut butter (roughly 4-5 tbsp) and some vegi oil (about 3 tbsp) in the wok on low/medium heat. (note - she has a wok but no pot. she also has only plastic spoons and forks, I ended up dipping out the peanut butter with her one ceramic knife. and no measuring tools.)

Next, I added diced tomatoes, English peas, and mushrooms! (1 can each) I wanted to add some peaches, but I gave up on using the can opener Cry

And it was stirred til everything was hot. It looked pretty iffy at this point. Then, I had to add 3 handfuls of sugar to make it not chalky tasting (around 1/2 cup), and then garlic powder and pepper.

Then I fried the rice in some soy sauce and more pepper:

And it was done!

It was actually very tasty. And my nephews ate it happily, which kind of surprised me (2 and 3 years old). Plus it was really cheap, this would probably make 6-8 servings.

Some notes, though:
Chopped onions or some sort of nut would be great in this, it could use more crunch.
And I probably wouldn't have needed sugar if I'd had the peaches, because they would have done that.
Mandarin oranges would be better that peaches, or apricots, maybe.
^.^
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011 05:39:03 PM by TroubleT - Reason: revealed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
brunoise

Eat anything, but if it bites back, boil it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011 08:55:57 PM »

Wow...

Kudos on the creativity! I just can't see PB pairing with tomato, let alone mushroom and peas. lol happy cooking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spice *IS* the spice of life.
+1SporkofDoom
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011 11:42:34 PM »

Lol. It actually worked pretty well. I was most worried about the peas. But I think the sugar is important in not making it suck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaggieTheCat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011 08:05:09 PM »

I think it sounds great, I've added it to my menu in a couple of weeks to experiment with. Smiley I would probably add some chicken to mine and different veggies, whatever I have in the house, probably corn and bell peppers, and maybe pineapple.  Love the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
+1SporkofDoom
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011 09:15:21 PM »

Pineapple would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Uncinetta

Thai Kitchen Smile Kitchen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012 09:56:08 AM »

I get hungry just to look at it ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Out Braids
How to Do a Ponytail
How to Braid Black Hair
How to Do Micro Braids
How to Retwist Dreads
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...