A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HEAD LICE TREATMENT  (Read 1177 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Valledaisy
« on: September 09, 2011 12:30:56 PM »

Shocked If you're like me you hear, read or think head lice and your head starts to feel creepy and itchy. Shocked

This summer my daughter came home from camp with a nasty case of head lice. I immediately ran out and bought a store treatment like a fool as it did not rid them of her head. I knew there was something I was missing and remembered reading about olive oil and suffocating insects with it. After a quick google yep Olive Oil is the most effective way to rid your head of lice. After reading through several blogs, articles and thumbing a couple books I came up with a treatment for my daughter's head. And just to be safe I made everyone use it. It knocked them all out and it's been a week and we've seen no signs of remaining lice but have scheduled another treatment just to be safe. I suggest treating once a week for three weeks. Eggs hatch every 6-10 days.

4oz Olive Oil
1/4t clove oil
1/4t tea tree

I bottled everything and put the sealed bottle in a cup of hot water to heat it. Gave it a good shake and applied it soaking the scalp and length of hair. Wrapped everyones head with head wraps I made of old tea shirts and left it on for about 3 hours. Some suggest plastic wrap to make an air tight barrier I didn't want to wrap my 3 year olds head in plastic wrap so I used an old t shirt and cut the body part of the shirt out using a spiral cutting from bottom to top to get a long strip and cut a hole in one end to loop through to start the wrapping around the hair/head.

Shampoo out and then apply a generous amount of conditioner and lightly rinse out leaving a bit of conditioner behind to aid in the removal of the nits, bodied and eggs with a fine tooth comb.

I wasn't sure where to stick this figured this was close enough. I think I have a picture of my littlest with her hair wrapped up. And I'll get a photo of the mix and the measurements up here sooner rather than later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All you need is Peace, Love and a little bit of imagination.
Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011 12:50:10 PM »

If only I would have known this last year.
I worked in a kindergarten and got lice two times. The second time we spent about 30 on treatment. (It made my hair wonderful soft, but it was way too expensive.)
I hope I won't have a reason soon to try this out, but I will keep it in mind.
Thank you. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011 08:02:38 PM »

Neem oil if you can get some works amazingly too. I let it sit on my daughters hair for a couple hours and that was it. We didn't even need to bag up stuffed animals but we did change her bedding. Also, after you rinse out the neem oil blow dry the hair and use a flat iron right after. The flat iron fries the lice and eggs. You can also use neem once in awhile by adding a bit to your shampoo in your hand. Don't add neem to the shampoo bottle but rather add it in your hand with the shampoo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011 08:08:46 PM »

The ONLY thing (and this is after two PERSCRIPTION treatments and actually cutting the eggs out of their hair and combing the live lice out) was putting Cetaphil soap on it in a shower cap for awhile and then blow drying their hair COMPLETELY!  (This worked on my two DD who have thick, curly, long hair.)

It's a good idea to add a drop or two of tea tree oil to your bottle of shampoo too, to keep the lice away, once you get rid of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011 05:06:22 PM »

I caught lice two years ago and have huge dreads.  What I did was soak my hair in apple cider vinegar and without rinsing, wrapped my head with saran wrap for 24 hours.  It killed them.

It's said that doing an apple cider vinegar rinse once per week is a good preventative.  You don't have to wrap your hair.  Just soak and don't rinse.  It will make your hair smell but it goes away after a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011 10:55:18 PM »

Good info to have! Also, blech!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012 09:09:36 AM »

I am sharing you the benefits of YEARS of experience battling headlice. some people catch them more easily than others, my daughter is one of those people and if your kids are in contact with other kids and go to school =headlice city..

yes blech..but I am a bit of an expert now. Fortunately she is now 17 and not at the age where she is touching heads with other kids and so for the last couple of years we have been headlice free.

What does not work: all of the commercial preparations (most headlice these days have developed immunity to the chemicals plus they are horribly toxic), olive oil, saran wrap, vinegar, hair dye (unbelievably it doesnt kill the buggers..yes I have caught them from my daughter!) etc

the only thing that works is combing them out (generally when people think that xy or z work, it because they have also fine combed the hair)

there is a technique though and you need to understand the life cycle of the louse and a few sneaky tricks

get a huge bottle of cheap cheap hair conditioner..( the conditioner will not kill the lice, it gums them up and stops them running away from the fine comb..it is essential to use conditioner so that you remove all live lice) wash the hair, and plaster it with conditioner, then sit your child in front of the TV, give them a treat and get to work,

use a regular comb, large teeth to narrow to work the conditioner through the hair,

section off the hair and fine comb in sections, from the nape of the neck to the crown. Paying particular attention to the nape of the neck (where they apparently sleep!) over the ears (that is where they mostly lay eggs)... after each pass of the fine comb wipe it off with toilet tissue or kitchen roll (You will use a lot of this!) or run it under water, LOOK at the teeth, if there is an egg or a nit there get it out, before you put it back into the hair.

rinse off any remaining conditioner (the only bonus with this process is that the hair will be super soft when it dries)

You MUST do the whole family and make sure to wash all hair brushes, some people recommend washing all bedding, it is enough to wash pillowcases. ..all the family!! otherwise you will reinfect one another.

You MUST repeat the process within a week and ideally once again another week later...because most fine combs do not remove eggs, which the lice glue to the hair, so if you don't repeat the process, all the eggs will hatch and within a couple of weeks you will have a new thriving population.

this comb http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-Professional-Stainless-Treatment-Removes/dp/B000HIBPV8/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329066208&sr=8-1-fkmr1 is a must. it is the only one I have ever used that also removes the eggs. but it is a b***H to use as it kinda scrapes your hair, it does not feel so nice and will pull out every single knot you have ever had. But it is definitely worth a buy

prevention...

Tie your kids hair up when they go to school or go out with other kids, I know the long flowing tresses look cute, but all school should compel kids to tie their hair up, it makes a HUGE difference.

Add a few drops each of some or all of the following essential oils to a conditoner.
tea-tree, rosemary, neem, citronella, lavender.

use this no more than once a week on your kids hair...essential oils are strong and shouldnt be used continuously with kids. You can also mix them with 50:50 water/alcohol and put them into an atomiser and give your kids hair a quick spritz before school. But again, I don't like using this stuff all of the time,

and thank the lord that *fingers crossed* we are finished with this stage of life...arrgh it makes my head itchy to even think about it!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 09:12:06 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012 05:02:36 PM »

What does not work: all of the commercial preparations (most headlice these days have developed immunity to the chemicals plus they are horribly toxic), olive oil, saran wrap, vinegar, hair dye (unbelievably it doesnt kill the buggers..yes I have caught them from my daughter!) etc

the only thing that works is combing them out (generally when people think that xy or z work, it because they have also fine combed the hair)

I beg to differ when you say the apple cider vinegar and saran wrap method does not work.  I have dreadlocks and couldn't at all comb my hair when I had lice but I got rid of them with one 24 hour session of ACV and saran.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Studio: Sprocket Holes?
Final Cut Pro/Express: Travel Matte
Motion 3: 3D Background Quick Tip
Motion 3: Random Mask Trick
Motion 3: Cool Text Trick
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...