A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Button-flap cloche (Pattern included)  (Read 1478 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern , free_crochet_pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TShanafelt
« on: September 09, 2011 09:10:26 AM »

I have a friend who really loves vintage items. Anything that looks vintage is her "thing" so I decided to make up a crochet hat pattern that would pay homage to her taste. I came up with this:

I don't know how many people are as in love with the Roaring 20s as she is, but I figured I'd post the pattern anyway for those who are.

You start with a very basic hat "base". I prefer to use an I-hook and worsted weight yarn, preferably Red Heart Super Saver (seriously, I should be a VIP with their company considering how much business they get from me.  Cheesy )

Hat
I begin with a magic circle.
1. Chain 3, double crochet 11 times (in this and all rounds, chain-3 counts as a DC). Join with a slip stitch. (12 DC).

2. Double crochet twice in each stitch around. Join with slip stitch. (24 DC).

3. Double crochet in a pattern of (2 in stitch, 1 in next stitch). (36 DC).

4. Double crochet in a pattern of (2 in stitch, 1 in next stitch, 1 in next stitch). (48 DC).

Work 8 rows double crochet around (or the amount needed to comfortably fit on your head).

Work 3 rows of single crochet. I switched to a different color for the last round, but that's up to you.

Flap
Begin by sewing a guide using scrap yarn for the width you want your hat flap to be. I chose a small-ish flap, but you can go as big as you want.

Use scrap yarn of a contrasting color to sew a "guide" for where you want your hat band to end. I would suggest putting the hat on your head and looping some yarn into your last row of stitches to show where you want your guide so that you don't make the flap too short or too long, but it's all about what works best for you.

Sew an embroidery chain (A great video tutorial can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbj_VmcIR0)
Using a tapestry needle, pull the tail of your yarn through to the back (this makes it easier to hide the ends when you've finished). Your working yarn should still be at the front of your hat. Use your finger to hold the tail in place so it doesn't pull through or sew your tail into your hat--whichever fits your preference.

1. Single crochet into each embroidery chain you made. In my case, I had a chain one and seven single crochet. Chain one and turn.

2. Working through back loops only, single crochet across. This technique is what creates the nice ribbed effect across the flap. If you're not sure how to do that, there's a nice picture guide here of how to identify back, front & both loops: http://www.redheart.com/files/workinback_zoom.jpg

3. Continue to work back and forth, single crocheting across through back loops only until your hat band is the approximate length you want.

This next part is optional. If you want your band to have a square edge, you're finished! Simply fasten off your yarn and skip to step 5.

4. Single crochet into your first stitch. Locate your middle stitch and complete a shell. In my case, I used a seven-double crochet shell. Locate your last stitch, single crochet, chain 1 and turn. Work a round of single crochet across each stitch. Fasten off.

5. Using a contrasting color (or the same, it's your preference), single crochet around the "loose" flap of the hat. This hides away all the rough edges of the flap. Fasten off and weave in all your ends.

6. Pick a button and sew onto the hat through both the band and the hat.

7. Put hat on head and enjoy!

I've tried to explain as best as I can how to make the hat, but if you have any questions, feel free to comment and I'll do my best to help. I'm self-taught so my explanations may not always make sense to other people (I've tried to explain knitting before and shudder at the thought of ever doing it again).

Also, if you use the pattern, post pictures. I'd love to see what other people come up with!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
8 Mistakes You Should Avoid When Applying Makeup
How To Prep Oily Skin For Makeup
KateBosworthSKII.Mov
Tips For Colored Hair, Lashes and Natural Lips
The Best Nail Art Tools for Under $10
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...