A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
827 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want your brains. Rawr, nom nom! (With Tutorial)  (Read 1665 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TShanafelt
« on: September 09, 2011 08:39:51 AM »

I've never attempted to explain how I've done a hat before, but I'm going to do my best since Halloween is fast approaching & I think this little gem would be much appreciated:

For this pattern, I used Red Heart Super Saver. It looks like a lime green, but I think the color name is "Spring Green".

I used an I/9 hook and I honestly don't use a gauge for my hats. I usually just test fit and work more rows if it's too short. (I know I offend the Gods of Crochet by saying that, but I promise, I test gauge with big or very important projects).

A lot of what I did was fooling around & I didn't actually write a pattern so I'll give a general idea of what I did for that. Smiley

I'm going to write out the pattern rather than abbreviate so hopefully it will be user-friendly for beginners.

Base Hat
First off, you make your base hat. For an adult, I usually increase to 48 stitches.

At the end of each round, you will join with a slip stitch & chain three to begin the next round. Chain-threes count as your first DC.

1. Start with a magic ring. Chain three and double crochet 11 times (12 DC). Join with a slip stitch.

2. Double crochet two times into each stitch around. Because your chain-three counts as a double crochet, you would only double crochet once into the first stitch after the chain three. (24 DC) Join with a slip stitch.

3. Double crochet around in a pattern of (2 double crochet in stitch, 1 double crochet in next stitch). I tend to count "1, 2, 3" as I work around the pattern to remind me that I am, in effect, working three stitches for each pattern repeat. (36 DC). Join with a slip stitch.

4. Double crochet around in a pattern of (2 double crochet in stitch, 1 double crochet in next stitch, 1 double crochet in next stitch). I count "1, 2, 3, 4" as I work each pattern repeat (make sure you've only covered 3 of your stitches from the previous round). (48 DC). Join with a slip stitch.

5 - 12. Double crochet around. You will continue to work a double crochet into the first stitch after your chain-3 so you will not continue to have 48 stitches. If you do, there's a chance the hat will end up being too tight and will only fit a child.
At the end of round 12, I had 56 stitches.

Test the fit of your hat. If you feel it's too short, feel free to work more rounds to lengthen it to a comfortable fit.

13 & 14 (OPTIONAL). Using a smaller hook, single crochet around. Join with a slip stitch. I did this to help tighten the fit on the hat, but it's up to you.

Brains
For the brains, I didn't write a specific pattern.
I used scrap thread to sew on a basic guideline for how I thought brains should move around.
I then made an embroidery chain (a video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbj_VmcIR0).
After I finished the chain, I simply crocheted around, varying between single crochets, skipped stitches, double crochets & shells of 5-9 double crochet.
That's the best way I can think of to explain it. I felt like it should be kinda whimsical since brains don't make a lot of sense. Smiley
I then worked a circle of embroidery chain around that and used my green to crochet random shells & single crochet around to look like torn flesh.

Eyeball
For the eyeball, I started with "Cherry Red" & then changed to white.

1. Make a magic ring. Chain three & double crochet 11 times into the ring. (12 DC) Join with a slip stitch.
NOTE: When you have the last two loops of your last double crochet on your hook, pick up your white yarn & pull finish the double crochet. Cut your red yarn leaving a nice long tail and begin to work the rest of the stitches in white.
2. Single crochet around working a pattern of (2 single crochet in one stitch, 1 single crochet in the next, 1 single crochet in the next). I'm not sure if that's what I did because it's hard to see the stitches, but it sounds about right.
3. Work row two again.
4. Work sc around each row.
5. Begin decreasing. I think I worked a pattern of decreasing every other stitch.
Repeat round 5 until there are only a few stitches left.
Stuff the eyeball with scrap yarn or fiberfill. I used scrap yarn.
Sew your eyeball closed, leaving a long tail. Pull tight & use the tail to sew the eye onto the hat.

Take some black scrap yarn and sew it in an X to make the "missing" eye.

I hope that made sense to all of you. If not, feel free to comment here and I'll try to explain as best as possible. Also, if you feel I made any errors in the pattern, let me know. Sometimes my brain runs faster than I type.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011 05:29:05 AM »

ok the title got me to look, but the eyeball! hahhhaahha, I love it!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
TShanafelt
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011 08:55:51 PM »

Thank you, Sue. The brains were the hardest part to do and they look prettier than I was hoping for. This is probably one of the goofiest hats I've ever made. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Default Foreground and Background Colors in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Erase Tool in Flash CS3
How to Use the History Palette in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Ink Bottle Tool in Flash CS3
How to Use the Paint Bucket Tool in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...