A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,847
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want your brains. Rawr, nom nom! (With Tutorial)  (Read 1667 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TShanafelt
« on: September 09, 2011 08:39:51 AM »

I've never attempted to explain how I've done a hat before, but I'm going to do my best since Halloween is fast approaching & I think this little gem would be much appreciated:

For this pattern, I used Red Heart Super Saver. It looks like a lime green, but I think the color name is "Spring Green".

I used an I/9 hook and I honestly don't use a gauge for my hats. I usually just test fit and work more rows if it's too short. (I know I offend the Gods of Crochet by saying that, but I promise, I test gauge with big or very important projects).

A lot of what I did was fooling around & I didn't actually write a pattern so I'll give a general idea of what I did for that. Smiley

I'm going to write out the pattern rather than abbreviate so hopefully it will be user-friendly for beginners.

Base Hat
First off, you make your base hat. For an adult, I usually increase to 48 stitches.

At the end of each round, you will join with a slip stitch & chain three to begin the next round. Chain-threes count as your first DC.

1. Start with a magic ring. Chain three and double crochet 11 times (12 DC). Join with a slip stitch.

2. Double crochet two times into each stitch around. Because your chain-three counts as a double crochet, you would only double crochet once into the first stitch after the chain three. (24 DC) Join with a slip stitch.

3. Double crochet around in a pattern of (2 double crochet in stitch, 1 double crochet in next stitch). I tend to count "1, 2, 3" as I work around the pattern to remind me that I am, in effect, working three stitches for each pattern repeat. (36 DC). Join with a slip stitch.

4. Double crochet around in a pattern of (2 double crochet in stitch, 1 double crochet in next stitch, 1 double crochet in next stitch). I count "1, 2, 3, 4" as I work each pattern repeat (make sure you've only covered 3 of your stitches from the previous round). (48 DC). Join with a slip stitch.

5 - 12. Double crochet around. You will continue to work a double crochet into the first stitch after your chain-3 so you will not continue to have 48 stitches. If you do, there's a chance the hat will end up being too tight and will only fit a child.
At the end of round 12, I had 56 stitches.

Test the fit of your hat. If you feel it's too short, feel free to work more rounds to lengthen it to a comfortable fit.

13 & 14 (OPTIONAL). Using a smaller hook, single crochet around. Join with a slip stitch. I did this to help tighten the fit on the hat, but it's up to you.

Brains
For the brains, I didn't write a specific pattern.
I used scrap thread to sew on a basic guideline for how I thought brains should move around.
I then made an embroidery chain (a video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbj_VmcIR0).
After I finished the chain, I simply crocheted around, varying between single crochets, skipped stitches, double crochets & shells of 5-9 double crochet.
That's the best way I can think of to explain it. I felt like it should be kinda whimsical since brains don't make a lot of sense. Smiley
I then worked a circle of embroidery chain around that and used my green to crochet random shells & single crochet around to look like torn flesh.

Eyeball
For the eyeball, I started with "Cherry Red" & then changed to white.

1. Make a magic ring. Chain three & double crochet 11 times into the ring. (12 DC) Join with a slip stitch.
NOTE: When you have the last two loops of your last double crochet on your hook, pick up your white yarn & pull finish the double crochet. Cut your red yarn leaving a nice long tail and begin to work the rest of the stitches in white.
2. Single crochet around working a pattern of (2 single crochet in one stitch, 1 single crochet in the next, 1 single crochet in the next). I'm not sure if that's what I did because it's hard to see the stitches, but it sounds about right.
3. Work row two again.
4. Work sc around each row.
5. Begin decreasing. I think I worked a pattern of decreasing every other stitch.
Repeat round 5 until there are only a few stitches left.
Stuff the eyeball with scrap yarn or fiberfill. I used scrap yarn.
Sew your eyeball closed, leaving a long tail. Pull tight & use the tail to sew the eye onto the hat.

Take some black scrap yarn and sew it in an X to make the "missing" eye.

I hope that made sense to all of you. If not, feel free to comment here and I'll try to explain as best as possible. Also, if you feel I made any errors in the pattern, let me know. Sometimes my brain runs faster than I type.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011 05:29:05 AM »

ok the title got me to look, but the eyeball! hahhhaahha, I love it!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
TShanafelt
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011 08:55:51 PM »

Thank you, Sue. The brains were the hardest part to do and they look prettier than I was hoping for. This is probably one of the goofiest hats I've ever made. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Look of Christian Dior Fall 2013
The Look of Lanvin Fall 2013
Why You Should Create Your Own Makeup Rules
Tamira Laboy: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
AJ Schulz: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...