A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gluten Free Alternatives Flour!  (Read 3587 times)
Tags for this thread: gluten_free  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2005 11:19:28 PM »

I want to practice my gluten free baking for a dear loved one, but does anyone have info they'd care to share on the chemistry and appropriate uses of the alternative flours that I can use? Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
StarSix
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005 12:21:34 PM »

I have Celiac disease, and have known for 6 years.  And NOTHING myself or my mother has tried to make has ever turned out well.  I've heard the key is to mix different flours, never just use a straight white rice flour.  That can be quite expensive and finicky, though!

Here is a mixture reccommended in my Gluten Free Anytime cookbook, meant to be sifted separately and then stirred all together:
3 cups white rice flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2 cups potato starch
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup soya flour

Still, my advice:  USE A GLUTEN FREE MIX!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not Beethoven, but it sure bounces!

~ The Aristocats
ladywyntir
Wyntir Witch of the West

"Knit is Good... But Crochet is WICKED!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005 11:49:04 AM »

spelt flour is good! it works like wheat flour (because it's heavy), however it may give you problems if you're watching your gluten.

Wheat Alternatives FAQ
Another post list for alternatives

hope that helps!

~wyn ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005 01:25:48 PM »

thanks!  those look like some good sites
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeriLynn
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005 01:48:39 PM »

AAAAH! CELIAC CRAFTSTERS! That's so great! I am the only Celiac I know who is under age 50. Anyone a vegetarian? I've only found one type of veggie burger that I can eat, but I would love to find others...

Also, when I still had the paddle for my bread machine, I would make bread with a flour mix of 2 parts white rice flour, 1 part cornstarch, 1 part soy flour. (I think that's it... I will double check when I get home from the office.) You also have to add gelatin and xanthan gum and instant mashed potatoes & other stuff, but I just tweaked a Bette Hagman recipe to my liking.

I also just found out about Bard's GF beer, made from sorghum. They don't sell it in my state, so I have to get my brother to bring some next time he visits. Because THAT's what really makes me cry.

-TL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005 08:00:11 PM »

TeriLynn , do you have any gluten free recipes you'd care to share...that would be so great!
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeriLynn
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005 11:49:11 AM »

Man, I don't have a whole lot of recipes- I don't cook much (or well!) and my oven has been broken for about a year. I have this funny issue with eating- if I don't eat within about 20 minutes of getting hungry, I won't be hungry anymore. So mostly, I make sandwiches with Ener-G tapioca bread (because it's available at the grocery near my office. No flavor, but it keeps my hands clean!) and I eat a lot of rice and cheese. At the moment I have 7 different kinds of cheese in my fridge. My biggest problem with being a celiac vegetarian is that there aren't many vegetables I really like &/or can prepare decently at home. But lately, I've been making rice with feta and spinach and onions. It's quick and a somewhat decent replacement for greek spinach pie, which was one of my favorites. I have Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy, but most of the recipes I've tried haven't really come out well. This may be because I have a poorly equipped kitchen. Or it could be my ineptitude. My ex-boyfriend took one bite of my sweet potato soup and offered to take me out to dinner. We threw the soup out. It was TERRIBLE! I end up eating a lot of Amy's brand frozen stuff. Anything quick- I work full-time and have 3 bands, so I do a lot of running.
(I'm running late for band practice as I write...)
-TL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005 12:27:07 PM »

spelt flour is good! it works like wheat flour (because it's heavy), however it may give you problems if you're watching your gluten.

Wheat Alternatives FAQ
Another post list for alternatives

hope that helps!

~wyn ^_^

Spelt is not GLUTEN FREE!!!!!!!! ack god please don't use it.
bos red mill makes a good all purpose GF mix and so does kinnikinik (spelling?) I have successfuly used both in most of my normal recipes.
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountaingrl
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008 12:11:44 AM »

I have fallen in love with Tom Sawyer gluten free flour. It is a combination of rice and tapioca flours, xanthan gum, and unflavored gelatin. It also is cup for cup substitution of normal wheat flour so any recipe can be converted (well other ingredients need to be considered of course).
It is pretty expensive, I paid 15 bucks for a bag but I don't use it that often and it is SO much easier than piecing together a bunch of other flours. 
http://www.glutenfreeflour.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008 07:21:06 AM »

I'm having some difficulty finding a G-F sub for rice flour; rice flour is so gritty. Anybody have ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Serve a Bacon Roly Poly
How to Stuff Mini Quesadillas
How to Heat Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
How to Cook Fantastic Turkey Au Gratin with Sherry
How to Cook Extra Sweet Thanksgiving Yams
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...