A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday September 9, 2011  (Read 1861 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011 05:21:33 PM »

I made a set of those last year?  they died... LOL  I'm on the look out for a set of metal tooth picks, like the hairdressers have, I think they'd survive me better Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011 09:07:44 PM »

Yeah, knowing Belladune I would think she would need heavier duty tools than rest of us. Well, maybe not than me but the rest of YOU...  Wink
B, I do like your color, though. I prefer rolags to batts myself but it's all personal choice, right?

Lark, that Blushing Plum is beautiful! What will you do with it? Very nice for singles. I can only spin singles on a drop spindle. Bravo you! I should try beehives, just so I can be like you Wink And that sweater stuff... !!! Eep! I am such a hippy. And a red head. 70s colors look great on redheads. ( WinkWink, nudge nudge!) Cute kid, too.

Oh, Belladune, did you know I wisted you? I think I tried to pass it off as wisting your shawl but who am I kidding? It was really you I wist for! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011 06:30:06 AM »

yeah... I'm a bit rough on my homemade combs... >.> Smiley  And i'm just a bit lazy when it comes to my hand cards.   But I do use them!  And I need another set of super fine ones as well...  Did you know that becoming a Master Spinner requires a heck of a lot of tools?  Only my teacher told me to never get a picker... Said they were monsters that would destroy any wool they touch..... so I guess that's one thing I wont be getting, saving me a bit....

Also, I'm flattered!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011 11:14:51 AM »

Thanks, Jexx, the plum is going to be a weaving yarn. Probably part of a scarf or a shawl, once I have a good range of colors spun. Smiley

Wool pickers are dangerous. The safest kind would probably be the Kaydessa box-style pickers, but I imagine any picker will tear up your wool a lot. I might get one of the box pickers for all the Suffolk I can get around here, but would never want one for nicer wool. I've also heard that with the  big swing pickers, one has to watch to keep their boobage out of the way. That's quite enough to scare me off! Shocked

Here is a box picker in use. It's kitten proof. Or at least safer around curious kitties.  Smiley
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUF_i0J8QJs&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011 11:19:21 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011 02:11:27 PM »

I was thinking a box picker,  just because I know the free wool around here isn't the nicest stuff.  I know I'd never in my life put my BFL in there.  Or a scottish black face.  Or any longer wool for that matter.   
And now that I've watched the vid (the kitten is cute)  I don't see why it's a terrible tool, especially if you want a woollen yarn (which is what shorter staples are good for) 
The swing ones scare the bejebus out of me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edenkitty
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011 12:21:33 PM »

I just scored some awesome acrylic roving... it's like pencil roving, but it's super fun on the wheel. Am I the only one who uses a boring old traditional ashford, I mean, I have nothing but a scotch brake and a drive band! I am so in lust with the wheels I see you all using.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011 12:59:30 PM »

LOL!  I have an Ashford Traveler.  Single drive and brake band gives better control, but you can pound out the yarn on a double drive.   But there's nothing wrong with an Ashford, be it a Traditional, Elizabeth, Traveler, Joy or otherwise.  If it makes twist enter your yarn, you're set!  But i lust after a few wheel still too Smiley
Can't wait to see what comes of this acrylic roving you found Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Embellish a Painted Sky
How to Paint Sand using Oil Paints
Learn About Art Canvases
Learning About Different Painting tools
How to Make a Paint Pallet
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...