A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday September 9, 2011  (Read 1770 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 09, 2011 06:44:47 AM »

I'll start! I spun at the market last week for the first time in a month and here is what I made:

~95 yards Merino/tencel, Navajo plied

~111 yards total Sari strips, 2 ply. 4 bobbins full! I need a bigger orifice if I'm going to keep doing Saris! The Sari was red and green, so I like the way it variegated. Green on the outsides, red in the middle...

This was the end that had the pattern on it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011 12:33:33 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
LaughingLark
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011 07:26:50 AM »

Those are AMAZING! Makes me think of Fall, and then Christmas. Smiley I love what you are doing with the Saris. That's so cool!

I am running into the same problem with the orifice on my Babe wheel. I'm thinking of getting the Bable Pinky with a delta flyer. I emailed Nels at Babe about it, and he says he can spin at one, and he's six feet tall with size eleven feet. The orifice is only 20" off the floor, and I was wondering if I could spin at one. I'm still not convinced, but a $204.00 wheel is a lot easier to budget for than a $350.00 full-sized wheel. But I might want the enormous bobbin capacity someday, even though the plying bobbin for the Babe Bulky can hold 8 oz of fiber...decisions, decisions!

I have some yarns drying outside; I'll try to get pics today. Happy Fiber Friday!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011 06:07:59 PM »

Gorgeous yarns Jexx!

Laughing Lark, the height of the orifice should not be to huge a factor in choosing a wheel.   No matter where to orifice is, your yarn will go there, your hands wont move.   But a bulky wheel with 8oz capacity would be awesome....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011 06:30:48 AM »

Belladune, that's pretty much what Nels said about the height of the orifice. I have a plying flyer now for my regular Babe, and it does hold up to 8 oz of yarn. The Bulky production holds over two pounds! I'm thinking I would be fine with the 8 oz bobbins for my purposes right now, I just need to get my mind around such a teeny wheel for bulky yarns.

This is one of the yarns I did this week. It's now in a skein, set and whacked. I need to pick up more batteries for my camera. I like to have a camera that runs on AA batteries, so I don't have to wait for them to charge. It works out great most of the time, except for when I let myself run out... Cheesy

Here is my wheel setup. If I get a Babe Bulky Pinky, it will be a lot smaller, but can also hold the big red bobbin.

I don't think I would put a skein winder on a Pinky. It would look incredibly silly and might even topple over ...LOL.

Here's the Pinky wheel:
http://www.babesfibergarden.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=169&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

And they have a conversion kit to change over my wheel to a Delta flyer, but I just bought a new plying flyer for this wheel. I like my big wheel as it is. GAhhhh. I think I'm talking myself into getting the Pinky. [rationalizing] It will be great for travel and for spinning in the park, etc...[/rationalizing].  Grin
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011 06:49:57 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011 07:14:22 AM »

LOL!
Are all the babes wheels double drive?
I think my next wheel purchase would be an Ashford country spinner. 

And i do have pics for you guys.  I just haven't had a chance to upload them....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011 08:30:32 AM »

I don't know what double drive is...lol. Newbie spinner here. Cheesy My wheel has a rubber drive band that goes on the bobbin and around the big black wheel, and it has a brake band in front of the flyer.

I would LOVE a Country Spinner. That will have to wait until I have a regular income again. I think that I will go for the Bulky Pinky, which will leave me in a better position to 'splain to hubby later on that I need the CS. If I get the big Babe Bulky, I'll be spinning on PVC machines forever... Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011 08:34:01 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011 09:31:06 AM »

oh if it has a brake band, then it's probably a single drive with scotch tension.  Great wheels to learn on and more versatile!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011 12:45:35 PM »

Okay, here is what I had on the bobbin.
Blushing Plum:

Black and Purple single:

Upcycled thrashed metallic sweater corespun on a drop spindle and plied with mohair.

There are gold and coppery strands throughout, but they hid from my camera pretty well.

Purple and grey with a few beehives in it. I wanted to do more beehives, but that whole orifice thing... Smiley

If I have some really crazy yarn next Friday, this is why. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011 01:23:16 PM »

very nice!!  I'm jello of your drum carder!

Here are my pics!  No yarn just color (this is why I need a drum carder Wink )

complete pile of dyed wool by Belladune, on Flickr
These two have 2 colors in one jar, and I love how they  blended.

3 colors in one jar (2 jars shown) by Belladune, on Flickr

Oh and check it out!  My lady now has double treadle! wewt!  (4 new bobbins too!)

She's ready! by Belladune, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011 03:30:28 PM »

I love those colors, Belladune!

Maybe you could make one of these comb hackles? You can blend on them.  Smiley

I'll see if I can find the tutorial links later. I made these last winter. These pix are from then. The combs still have all their teeth, and I've used them a lot. I now use a #10 washer for my diz. Dead cheap and works great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Two Ways to Wear This Season’s Fringe Trend
Lingerie Store La Perla Takes Down Dangerously Thin Mannequin
Abbi Crutchfield at NYFW: Street Style Wisdom
Selena Gomez Sizzles in Lanvin
3 Totally Different Ways to Wear Cutoffs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...